I have developed a pizza-making obsession lately, and I’m not ashamed to admit it. I’m not sure why – it’s not like we aren’t surrounded by perfectly wonderful pizza joints, but there’s something about cooking it up in your own oven that gives you warm fuzzy feelings of pizza-smugness. As in, oh yes, I can make my own pizza. In this particular case, clam and bacon pizza with some chopped flat leaf parsley scattered on top. Oh yes. Irish girl does pizza.
The first thing to do is get your hands on some pizza dough. It’s available pretty routinely in the refrigerated section of supermarkets, or you can do what I do and make your own. I’m currently in love with this recipe from The New York Times, and the Pioneer Woman’s version is also a great one. One way or another, get some pizza dough and you are ready to roll.
Speaking of rolling, roll it out to about a 12 inch circle. My circles tend to be more like free form vaguely circular meets rectangular shapes, but I think that adds to the pizza’s homemade charm! Now on to the topping, and my single best piece of advice is this: be stingy with the topping. I know, this sounds like heresy, but we are making a thin crust pizza here, and if you have too much topping it will be all heavy and might even – horrors! – break through your crust. And nobody wants that. So the amounts in the recipe are going to seem small, but I promise that they will still give you a lovely cheesy taste.
First paint your crust with a little heavy cream, then lay on a few thin slices of fresh mozzarella. Now scatter some grated fontina on there along with a handful of cooked bacon and pop it into a Very Hot Oven. If you have a pizza stone by all means use it – if not, a cookie sheet will do just fine.
While the pizza is cooking, heat up some canned baby clams in their juices and chop up some flat leaf parsley. You don’t want to cook the clams on the pizza because of the heaviness factor, and also because they will dry out too much in the heat of the oven. As soon as the pizza comes out, drain the clams and scatter them over the top along with the chopped parsley and a nice grinding of black pepper.
- Pizza dough for one 12 inch pizza
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 5 thin slices fresh mozzarella (about 2.5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese (about 1.5 ounces)
- 2 slices cooked chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup canned baby clams
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Roll out pizza dough to a thin 12 inch round.
- Brush dough with heavy cream. Lay mozzarella on dough, then scatter fontina around it. Scatter bacon on top.
- Bake until crust is a light golden brown, around 6-8 minutes.
- While pizza is cooking, heat clams in their juice in a small saucepan. When pizza is done, drain and scatter on top of pizza. Top with parsley and fresh ground pepper. Cut into slices and serve at once.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!