Macaroni and cheese! From macaroni and cheese cupcakes to macaroni and cheese soup to macaroni and cheese pizza, there’s pretty much nothing I won’t do or try when it comes to one of my favorite suppers. And so it was pretty much only a matter of time before my trusty slow cooker got in on the game. What would happen, I wondered, if I tried tossing all the usual macaroni and cheese ingredients together in the slow cooker, walking away for a few hours and coming back?
Good things happened. As in, feeling this kind of happy when you take a bite good things.
It’s also the perfect compromise between the consistency of baked mac and cheese and stovetop mac and cheese….not as solid as the baked kind, not as loose as the stovetop kind…but juuuuuuust right.
The only thing about the slow cooker variety is that it’s not the kind of slow cooking that you can start in the morning and leave on all day while you are at work – this recipe only needs about two and a half hours. If you have a slow cooker that works on a timer you’re all set, otherwise just get someone reliable to turn it on a few hours before suppertime.
Once the mac and cheese is all bubbling and delicious and done, I like to give it a good stir, and then serve it up. This time I served it in ice cream sundae glasses, purely because we just renovated our kitchen and in the process found all kinds of things I forgot I owned, including ice cream sundae glasses. Whee!
So there you have it – my umpteenth version of macaroni and cheese. And don’t worry…I still have more ideas!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (you can also use a mix of cheddar and jack if you like!)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 twelve ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Butter the inside of your slow cooker.
- Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir gently until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for about 2 1/2 hours. The mac and cheese should be gently bubbling at the edges. Remember not to take the cover off and peek – this lets the heat out!
- When the mac and cheese is done, give it a good stir and serve at once!