Got leftover chicken? A little rice and some summer herbs and tomatoes are all you need to turn leftovers into a delicious summer chicken rice salad! Perfect for a quick and healthy warm weather lunch or supper.
I know, I know, this is my second post in a row with the word “summer” in it, and technically it isn’t exactly summer yet.
But it’s only a matter of days, and there’s nothing like being prepared, I always say. Especially when it comes to summer, and especially when it comes to things like fresh basil and grilled chicken and sweet tomatoes and all the glorious things you can make with them. Things like this easy and delicious summer chicken rice salad!
Whenever the Southern husband is grilling up chicken, we ALWAYS make sure to toss a few extra pieces on, just so that we have extra to make things like this wonderful chicken rice salad.
Since cold leftover grilled chicken is so very very tempting when it is just sitting around in the fridge, I do have to say in a very stern voice that nobody is allowed to just randomly eat pieces of leftover grilled chicken when the spirit moves them, and I’ve been known to leave threatening Post-It notes on the actual containers of grilled chicken in the refrigerator.
Hey, you do what you have to do!
Here’s how you make summer chicken rice salad!
Assuming your leftover grilled chicken makes it through safely, this lovely dish could not be easier! Make the dressing by putting a little olive oil and lemon juice in a small jar and shaking vigorously.
Now pop that chicken and some cut up cherry tomatoes tomatoes in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Let it stand around for 15 minutes so those summer flavors have a chance to mingle together, and then add some freshly cooked rice and toss it up with some basil and salt and pepper.
And there you have it. All in one dish. It’s so easy, it’s almost not fair.
But hey, it’s summertime, and the living is easy. Almost. One more week!Print
Got leftover chicken? A little rice and some summer herbs and tomatoes are all you need to turn leftovers into a delicious summer chicken rice salad!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (grilled chicken works wonderfully for this recipe!)
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups rice, cooked and cooled to room temperature
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- Make dressing by combining olive oil and lemon juice in a small jar and shaking vigorously.
- Put chicken and tomatoes in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add rice and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, add basil. Serve with a little more ground pepper on top.