Cauliflower and blue cheese team up in this easy, creamy, tangy, hearty cauliflower blue cheese soup! This is a recipe you’ll want to make over and over.
I started my serious relationship with cauliflower back a few years ago when the Southern husband and I decided to give the Atkins Diet a whirl. Remember that one? It promised you could eat all the bacon you wanted, so long as not one single carbohydrate passed your lips. This sounds like heaven to me, until I got to the second day and realized that I loved carbohydrates as much as I love bacon, and the only reason I lasted on it long enough to lose a few pounds was that I realized that whipped cauliflower was actually almost as good as mashed potatoes.
I had never truly appreciated the deliciousness of cauliflower before then, but ever since I’ve been figuring out different ways to serve it up, including this scrumptious cauliflower and blue cheese soup! Ready for cauliflower soup deliciousness? Let’s make it!
This soup is pretty much as simple as it gets, soup-making-wise. You want to start by cooking up some cauliflower until it is nice and soft and tender. Put a few pieces aside to use as garnish for your soup later. They will look so pretty, and the only thing better than cauliflower soup is pretty cauliflower soup, I always say.
The rest of the soup is a glorious combination of butter, leeks, celery, chicken broth and milk, with a little flour for thickener. It tastes like it has a generous lacing of cream, but no…it’s the magic of that cauliflower! You puree the whole thing up until it is gorgeous and creamy, and then sitr in the blue cheese until it is melted and perfect.
Now ladle it into bowls, grind some pepper on top and garnish it with the cauliflower pieces. Hand out some soup spoons and prepare yourself for some serious cauliflower deliciousness. I heart cauliflower! And bacon. And carbohydrates. And cauliflower!
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Fresh ground pepper
- Boil a handful of the smaller cauliflower florets in boiling water until just tender, about 3 minutes, and drain. Set aside – you are going to use these for garnish later!
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add leek, celery and the rest of the cauliflower and stir. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir.
- Pour in broth and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover the pot and cook until cauliflower is very very tender, about 25 minutes.
- If you have an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup mixture until smooth…if not, transfer the mixture in batches to a regular blender and blend that way. Return to pot.
- Add cheese and stir over medium heat until melted.
- Divide soup among bowls and grind fresh pepper on top. Garnish with cauliflower florets and serve at once.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!