Eggs in Clouds

Right after I made this super, super, super simple recipe I posted that picture up there on Instagram and Facebook, and got a whole bunch of “how did you DO that??” comments, which made me both ridiculously happy and slightly embarrassed to admit how easy it is to create Egg Drama.  So I just said “egg magic” and left it at that.  And it IS kind of magical that you can take an egg and a little shredded cheese and 15 minutes later have this.  But it’s not a fantasy, it’s real…and here’s how.

You need: a mixer, a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking sheet, a little shredded Parmesan cheese, and as many eggs as you want to make egg clouds of of.  One egg per egg cloud.  Now separate the eggs, putting all the whites into a mixing bowl together, and each yolk into a separate little cup.  Here’s my chance to tell you if you invest in a set of little Pyrex prep bowls (Click here for my favorites) you will use them SO MANY TIMES that you will wonder how you ever lived without little Pyrex prep bowls.

Anyway.

Whip the egg whites until they form nice sturdy peaks – just like you are making meringue.  This will take a good 2-3 minutes in the mixer.  When they are whipped, gently fold in the grated parmesan.  Now divide the the whipped egg white into little round clouds on your baking sheet.  If you whipped four egg whites, you should make four clouds.  Make a little dent in the center and pop them in a hot oven for 3 minutes.

After 3 minutes, slide the baking sheet out of the oven and carefully slide the egg yolk into each little dent in the center.  Back into the oven for another 3 minutes.

And that’s it!

Really.  No kidding.  That’s it.

Slide a spatula under each one and pop them on a pretty plate.  The meringue will be soft and chewy and filled with parmesan cheese flavor, and the yolk will be creamy and wonderful.  And you will be admired throughout your house as an egg magician.

Eggs in clouds.  Because we all need a little magic in our breakfast now and then!

Eggs in Clouds

Serves: 2 servings
  • 4 eggs
  • ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 450 and line a sturdy cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Separate eggs, putting the whites in a large mixing bowl and the yolks in separate little cups.
  3. Whip the whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
  4. Gently stir in the cheese, then divide the whites into 4 "cloud" shapes on the baking sheet. Make a little well in the center of each cloud.
  5. Bake for 3 minutes, then slide the cookie sheet out and gently slip a yolk into each well. Cook for another 3 minutes.
  6. Gently remove with a spatula and serve!

Comments

• Kate says

Hi Judy! You know, I haven’t tried it that way but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work just fine. If you test it out will you come back and let me know how it goes? :)

• Dawn H says

You can absolutely add them at the beginning! I tried them today. I checked them at six minutes (but only had the oven at 350, since I was doing biscuits at the same time) and they were not done, so I left them in. 15 minutes (along with the biscuits) at 350 was perfect!

• Kate says

Thanks so much Dawn – great to have this variation on the cooking temp and time! (And I bet they were great with biscuits!)

• Kate says

Hot buttered toast (a thing of beauty in itself) would be PERFECTION with these. I’m going to try that next!

1. Becca says

We can’t do dairy. Could I eliminate the cheese or would I need to substitute something in its place?
    Thanks! This recipe looks delish.

• Kate says

Hi Becca! I think if you added a little seasoning to the whites – just salt and pepper to give them a little zing – they would be fine. The major flavor comes from the lovely yolk!

2. Worlds Worst Cook says

I am a disaster in the kitchen – But saw this and thought, why not!

Made it for my two daughters aged 4 and 3, whipped up the egg whites, forgot to add the parmesan so sprinkled it on the top before I put the ‘clouds’ in the oven and served on brown buttered toast – They loved it!!

Every morsel consumed with passion!

No more tinned beans on toast for my two!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

• Kate says

I had a vague memory of these from my childhood (can’t remember if it was at home or at a restaurant), and so did a friend of mine who reminded me of them recently…so I decided to recreate them. Just as good as I remembered!

3. Vickie says

We have been eating these for many years, but we fix them a little different. We put a slice of bread down, then a slice of cheddar cheese, then the whipped egg whites, then the yoke, then sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and cook in oven till done. OMG they are so yummy!

4. Ro says

My son loves fried eggs, over easy, runny side up, tolerates scrambled, so “boring”…

He is going to LOVE these eggs.

5. says

Nice job. Have you consider frying them? How about adding sautéed sliced mushroom, or chopped pepper and onions, Lots of possibilities. I like it very much.
    Thanks.

• Kate says

I don’t think the clouds would fry well – I think it needs the circulating heat of the oven. But definitely try the mix-ins!

6. Myrna says

I have been making baked eggs for years. I use dry toast then put the whites on leaving a hole in the middle for the yolk.

7. Maddie says

HI!Kate I’m just 10 but I love to cook. I thought the cloud eggs were such a good idea. They were adorabe. I love your resipes like your chocolate dinner mint cake

• Kate says

Hi Maddie! How great that you are cooking at age 10 – that’s when I started to cook, too! And thanks for leaving me a comment about the eggs in clouds – I think they are pretty cute, too. Happy New Year! :)