Basil. The official herb of summer.
And while I am discussing ingredients, if any of you out there live near Secaucus, New Jersey, I have to give a shout-out to Vito’s Bakery, where they make The Best Mozzarella In The Entire World. Creamy, dreamy, perfect, melt in your mouth mozzarella. Save some for me.
Back in my mom’s kitchen, she lets the cheese sit in this glorious marinade for about two hours, and just about the time that folks are getting hungry, she brings it out with a basket full of soft sliced Italian bread, which is perfect for slathering on not only the cheese but also mopping up that crazily good marinade. Because when it comes to this particular recipe, it is impossible to leave one single morsel behind.
Right, all my friends who have ever been to my mom’s house on a marinated mozzarella day?
Serves: 8 appetizer servings
- 1 pound chilled mozzarella (you want it chilled so it is easier to cut)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons each chopped fresh parsley, chives and basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes
- Extra whole basil leaves for garnish
- Sliced Italian bread for serving
- 1. Arrange overlapping slices of cheese in a shallow serving dish.
- 2. Stir oil, herbs and tomatoes together and drizzle over cheese.
- 3. Cover cheese with plastic wrap and let it marinate at room temperature for 2 hours.
- 4. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with sliced Italian bread.