Before I wax poetic about this Dijon roast chicken, let me just say this: I love Sunday evening supper. I usually make something that needs to cook slowly and lovingly, something that I wouldn’t have the time to make during the mad rush that is MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday. Not that I don’t have lots of delicious weeknight ideas, but there’s something about Sundays, and so when I come up with something that can be made on a Thursday schedule with Sunday flavors, I definitely feel like I have beaten the system. That’s how things are with this scrumptious roast chicken dinner.
You start by searing bone-in chicken breasts in a frying pan just long enough to get them nice and browned, about 10 minutes. In the meantime, mix up a quick sauce of Dijon mustard and poultry seasoning, and chop up a few onions and carrots…for this recipe I like getting large sweet onions. Once the chicken is browned, spread the mustard sauce over it and pop it in a roasting pan with the veggies. Now roast it for about 40 minutes. Your chicken will be tender and juicy and the veggies will have a lovely half soft and half crispy texture.
Sprinkle some chopped parsley on top and grind some pepper over the whole thing and voila! Sunday dinner on Thursday. Or Wednesday. Or even on a Sunday where you want to spend a little less time in the kitchen. It’s like having your cake and eating it too. Or your chicken. You get my general drift…
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and cut into one inch pieces
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sear the chicken breasts until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, stir poultry seasoning into mustard. When chicken is browned, brush the skin sides with the mustard mixture and place in heavy roasting pan.
- Toss vegetables with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper and add to pan. Roast for 40 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to serving platter or individual dishes. Garnish with parsley, grind pepper on top and serve.