Yep, this is definitely my Summer of the Sandwich. And not just any sandwich…the open-faced sandwich. And not just any open-faced sandwich…open-faced sandwiches made with bread that has been toasted on the grill for that fabulous, just a tiny bit charred taste. For some reason I’ve gotten fixated on them and they are showing up on my supper menu almost once a week. Not only is there the whole grilled bread thing going on, but there’s nothing like the feeling of walking in the door at the end of the day and getting that merry Sandwiches-For-Dinner feeling…oh yes!
And in this particular case, it was another excuse to whirl up the millionth batch of that Five Minute Hummus I am also fixated on lately. Hey, there could be worse vices to have, right? And if you are not the hummus-whirling-up type, your favorite supermarket brand will work just fine.
So, once you have walked in the door and are all in a good mood due to it being Sandwich Night, here’s the drill. Slice up some nice thick slices of whatever hearty bread you like. I like the sourdough bread at Panera…it’s fresh and has that scrumptious sourdough tang to it. Brush your bread with a little olive oil and pop it on the grilled just long enough to get those delicious char marks going.
Once it has cooled a little, slather on some hummus. don’tbe shy, slather it on thick. Now drape some thin-sliced deli turkey on top…and here comes the best part, the part that takes this from regular sandwich status to Superstar Sandwich Status. Put about 2 tablespoons of honey in a microwavable measuring cup and nuke just until it is melted – this probably won’t take more than 10 seconds. Now grind a generous amount of black pepper into it, swirl it around, and then drizzle it over your turkey sandwich. The sweetness of the honey and the snap of the black pepper are going to make beautiful music with the rest of this sandwich.
Sandwich Night! It makes you feel this good:
Almost, anyway! Here’s the recipe.
- 4 slices hearty bread, your choice
- Olive oil
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ pound thin sliced turkey
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat grill to medium high. Brush both sides of bread with olive oil and grill until both sides are toasted to your liking. Remove and cool slightly.
- Spread each slice of bread with ¼ cup hummus. Divide turkey among sandwiches and lay on top of hummus.
- Heat honey in microwavable measuring cup until liquid, about 10 seconds. Grind a generous portion of black pepper into honey and swirl to mix. Drizzle over sandwiches and serve.