Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes

Okay, so ever since I made those French Toast Muffins a little ways back, I’ve been strangely obsessed with things I can make in my muffin pan. I don’t know if it is the whole portability thing, or just the fact that anything with the word “cupcake” or “muffin” in the title automatically makes my stomach growl. You could probably show me a recipe for Brussel Sprout Cupcakes and I would get hungry.

Okay, maybe not.

But in the case of these macaroni and cheese cupcakes, the second it occurred to me that macaroni and cheese could be made in a cupcake shape, I couldn’t make the dang things fast enough. And as it turns out, there are a few folks out there that share this little fascination of mine because as soon as I posted on my Facebook page that I was making these for dinner (as I do every day, but that is a discussion for another day) I started getting the comments and emails. So this little recipe moved right up to the head of the line in terms of blog postings, because far be it from me not to share the cupcake love around.

One essential hint for you. Do NOT skip the step that calls for lining your muffin pan with cupcake liners. These guys are just a little bit sticky, and if I hadn’t used the liners I fear that half the cupcake would have stuck to the muffin pan. And then I would have cried. Real tears. Use those muffin liners, and it wouldn’t hurt to even hit them with a quick sprintz of Pam.

Aside from that, this recipe is pretty much as easy as it gets. The mac and cheese is going to look pretty soupy to you when you are ladling it into the muffin tin, but I promise that it is going to firm up into light and delicious cupcakes that hold together just fine.
Last but not least (and then I promise that I am going to zip my lip and get to the recipe), when one of my foodie friends heard I was making these babies, she suggested I make them in mini muffin pans and serve them with a drizzle of truffle oil. Which sounds like a ROCKING good appetizer, right? We were having them for dinner (which sent the teenager into a coma of food happiness) so I stuck with the regular sized muffin tins, but next time I need a creative, easy appetizer? Oh yeah, baby.
Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes

Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes

8 ounces elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus a little more for garnish
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
1. Cook the macaroni until done. Drain and immediately return to pot.
2. Add cheese and stir briefly until almost melting.
3. Beat eggs into milk, and then pour mixture into macaroni. Mix well.
4. Ladle macaroni mixture into muffins tins, and bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Yum

Comments

1. Kathy - Panini Happy says:

How fun! I agree – somehow food is just a little more fun when it comes in muffin/cupcake form. I made stuffing muffins last Thanksgiving and they were a hit.

2. This looks yummy and fun for the kids. I've been meaning to buy some silicone cupcake liners. This would be a good excuse to try them out.

3. Sharon Creech says:

Okay, now I get it. When you first mentioned these, I envisioned flour, sugar and. . .macaroni. . .you know, regular cake w/macaroni inside. That didn't sound so good. But these do. . .

4. lol Those are awesome and so much fun!!

5. scrambledhenfruit says:

My grandson would love these- mac and cheese he can pick up and eat! I've saved it in my appetizer file as well. Truffle oil drizzle? Yum!

6. My kids would love these. I'm going to have to try them!

7. Grumpy and HoneyB says:

Oh yes, right up my alley – Since I love all things portioned out!

8. I have really loved what you have been making recently and these made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

9. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

Thanks everyone! Lasagna cupcakes coming soon. And Sarah, silicone liners…genius!!

10. My little granddaughters are going to love these!

11. Rose D., NJ says:

I have one word for you– "GENIUS"!! Love this and so will my toddlers.

12. mr. and mrs. says:

Now THAT is just illegal and you know it! lol ;] Looks dangerously delicious!

13. City Share says:

What a fun finger food. These would make a great appetizer. Thanks for the idea.

14. Moonlight Serenade says:

what a cool idea! Would be fun for a party

15. Wow, these look amazing! I'll definitely have to try them soon, maybe with a little parmesan cheese… mmm, my favorite. Thanks for the great idea!

16. Sweet & Savory Summer says:

These are adorable! I have to make these for the kids next time I babysit, they'll love them :)

17. Sweet & Savory Summer says:

18. My wee boys would go crazy for these, very original and also easy to make that even a culinary novice such as myself might be able to make them.

19. This is such an awesome recipe and I am all excited to try it out this weekend. I have a goal to make one new dish a week and learn to cook something other than our usual rotation of pasta/frozen-pizza/more pasta. Thanks for the great recipes with tips and pictures, so excited to get started!!

20. Stephanie says:

This is a great idea! Thank you so much. Perfect for a child's bday party too! =)

21. Stephanie says:

just had a thought, you cold do a little bread crumb and parmesan mixture sprinkled on top for a little crunch crunch on top! maybe broil for a few seconds at the end?

22. Anonymous says:

Oooohh… These look so yummy!!
    How do you store the leftovers? In the fridge and then reheat them when ready to eat? I'm thinking that these handy muffins will be great in my son's lunches when he starts kindergarten this Fall. Keep up the good work! Sue

23. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

You could definitely do a breab crumb/cheese sprinkle on the top, yes! As for storing them, I kept the few that we had left over in the fridge, and while they heat up just fine in the microwave, they are actually pretty great just at room temperature. (and I speak from experience!). Happy M&C Cupcakes!!!

24. Anonymous says:

Yay! Thanks!
    Sue

25. Mac and cheese is my favourite comfort so I was immediately intrigued by your mac and cheese "cupcakes" they look great!

26. Chef Dennis says:

I love this idea!!!! I am going to have to use this at school!

27. Katherine says:

I've been the same way ever since I bought my new mini muffin pan! I am going CRAZY with it. These are definitely worth a try.

28. AmandaRose says:

OMG, that looks so good. I can't wait to give them a try!

29. Chic Cookies says:

I. Love. This. My favorite food in a cupcake. Brilliant! I posted a link on my column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com). Thank you for sharing!

30. I love cute food! This is adorable. Great idea for my picky toddler.

31. Amy CCandC says:

And another brilliant idea! Love it

32. Sandra Simmons says:

No one had trouble with paper liners? Ours basically disintegrated. I'm going to do this again because it's a super-cute idea, but with foil or silicone liners.

33. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

Hi Sandra – so sorry to hear about your liners! Folks have told me that they have used silicone liners and they worked well – you might also try some Pam on the paper or foil ones and see if that helps. Glad to hear you are trying again though!

34. I am so making this for Mom's Night Out! Brilliant!

35. How did I miss this Post!? My daughter will be over the moon!

36. I made this tonight and they were a HUGE hit! I did a mix of the light Italian shredded cheese mix and regular sharp white cheddar cheese and then put a little shredded parmesan on top to make it extra crunchy and they were fab. I did spray the inside of the liners as suggested and had no problem with the paper sticking or disingegrating.

37. Just saw a link to this over at The Shopping Mama….love this! thanks for sharing. =)

38. wooden bed frame says:

This is a very adorable idea! I like it. But I am afraid kids will ask for more!

39. I made this last night for our church potluck, and it was a BIG hit (especially with the kiddos). I doubled it and so it ended up a bit eggy but what kid doesn't like eggs, cheese and noodles? It was a total win.

40. Went cupcake crazy this week and made the mac&cheese — with a bit of chopped ham in some of them — and the french toast drizzled with homemade buttermilk syrup instead of maple…both are family hits! This weekend, we're trying the mini lasagna!
    LOVE your blog!

41. Anonymous says:

i'm a teenage girl who stumbled upon this and i made these for my little sisters and they adored them! :D thanks

42. Anonymous says:

I have 2 daughters who are 2 & 3 years old. Dinner time is the WORST time of the day because they constantly have to be reminded to take a bite…I made these tonight and dinner time was a breeze! Thanks for the recipe…and the extension of my patience today :).

43. fundamentaltruth says:

I'm a college student on a tight budget and even fewer kitchen supplies. Mac and cheese is my major comfort food but the only pans I own are a cookie sheet and a muffin tin. Looks like you just saved my day! Thanks for the recipe– looking forward to trying it!

I think no matter if you are in preschool, in college or (like me) in some later stage of life :) that mac and cheese is pretty much the ultimate comfort food! Thanks again for all the great comments and suggestions! <3

45. I made these as minis, and OMGDELICIOUS!!! This recipe made 48 minis, perfect for a party … they only took about 12 min to cook too :D

46. GroovyMommy says:

So, I've tried Mac and cheese with eggs and it hasn't been that good. Everyone here thinks this is great, though, and i loveloveloved the lasgna cupcakes so i might give it another try. But can you do this with just a regular baked Mac and cheese recipe (white sauce, etc) if you were willing to break the 30 minute rule?

I'm sure you could – I'd just keep an eye on them and cut the baking time by about a third so they don't get dried out. Let us know how they come out!

48. GroovyMommy says:

So, I tried this per the recipe and they were tasty enough not to warrant any changes. However, my wrappers also fell apart, like some of the others. Maybe next time I won't spray them first, or I'll try one where I won't use a wrapper. Next time I make "real" Mac and cheese, I'll make a little extra and see how they come out in cupcake form. This recipe is a lot easier for a quick dinner, though! Thanks for all of the great ideas! I feel like I'm going thru your blog "Julie and Julia" style, trying everything!

GroovyMommy: First of all, I LOVE your name! Second, let me know how they come out without wrappers? I've been meaning to try them that way. :)

50. GroovyMommy says:

"Groovy" has always been a favorite word. Just makes you want to relax.

Anyway, an update for you. I made these tonight sans wrappers and had no problem with any sticking. Note that I was using a heavy duty commercial-type 12-cup muffin tin. NOT non-stick. Just sprayed the heck of it and crossed my fingers. They popped out beautifully and kept their shape. And I had a bunch of clean plates at the end of the night. (Even from the daughter who claimed "These are yucky!")

Thanks for the update…it means I will have to make them again to try this out myself! (always looking for a good excuse to make M&C cupcakes!)

52. there is just so much win happening in this post

53. Hey, I want to make these for my daughter’s birthday party, I assume these are meant to be served hot? At what point do they firm up and hold the cupcake shape? And do you think these would hold up well in a buffet server to keep them warm? Thanks!

• They are actually best served room temperature to lukewarm, especially to kids who will want to eat them with their hands (have lots of napkins, they are messy!) They will firm up in the oven as the egg in the mixture solidfies, so they will come out in cupcake shape, but they will be (obviously!) hot and they will get even firmer as they cool down a bit. A buffet server on low would be great – but they are also pretty wonderful right at room temperature. Hope this helps and have a great birthday party!

54. I found your recipe on pinterest and tried it for a mommy and me playgroup that we attend once a month. All the moms bring a kid friendly dish for lunch at the end. It was a hit and my husband and I finished off all the leftovers! :) It then inspired me to try and create a dish with veggies for my picky little toddler. We’re having it tonight with quinoa, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots hidden inside. We’ll see how it goes. Thank you!

1. […] just off the top of my head. I hope it goes well and I hope I helped!!!Powered by Yahoo! AnswersJoseph asks…Baked macaroni and cheese recipe with Campbell's soup?Years ago I had a Campbells Soup…">Baked macaroni and cheese recipe with Campbell's soup?Years ago I had a Campbells Soup cookbook […]

2. […] one that has led me down a road filled with cupcakes of all shapes and sizes. Ice Cream Cupcakes. Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes. And now what may be my favorites, which are these Lasagna Cupcakes. Yep, that’s a bonafide […]

3. […] have had macaroni and cheese approximately 1,594,284 times, from the classic baked version to yes, macaroni and cheese cupcakes.  So if you told me that lo! these many years later that I would find a new way to make it, and […]

4. […] things to do in life is to take usually things that are usually not in cupcake form (lasagna, macaroni and cheese, bacon and eggs) and put them in cupcake form. There’s something just so welcoming about […]

5. […] solution to this habit I have of making large batches of just about everything.  Lauren loved my macaroni and cheese cupcakes.  Sara loved my chocolate chip cookies.  Conor…well, my sweet Conor loved just about […]

6. […] it, hinting around about it, flirting with it, and now I’ve finally taken the plunge.  Yep, macaroni and cheese cupcakes and macaroni and cheese soup and plain old macaroni and cheese just weren’t enough….I […]

7. […] to my love affair with bacon.  There’s no mac and cheese adventure I won’t try, from cupcakes to soup, and those who know me well are constantly making sure I know everything there is to know […]

8. […] and cheese!  From macaroni and cheese cupcakes to macaroni and cheese soup to macaroni and cheese pizza, there’s pretty much nothing I […]

9. […] this point, I think I have messed with enough traditional dishes (please see Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes as a prime example) the fact that I am about to rave about this spiced up lasagna topped with sour […]