Still looking around for that perfect holiday gift? Well, look no further, this may be it! This is a simple and dramatic recipe for a cookie “brittle” that is different and delicious and very festive looking. You can make batch of it in no time, and if you have a nice glass cookie jar and some ribbon you are ready to rock.
Now get ready to be amazed…the secret ingredient in this one? Saltines. Yep, you read that right, good old boring saltines — they transform into this exotic concoction like Clark Kent morphing into Superman. You line your favorite jelly roll pan with foil (I like the nonstick kind myself). Open a sleeve of saltines and lay them out on the foil in a single layer, with the sides touching. If you have an 11/17 inch pan they will fit perfectly.
Next take 2 sticks of butter and melt them in a saucepan over medium high heat. Pour in a cup of brown sugar and boil that sinful mixture for three minutes. It will look alarmingly dramatic, but don’t worry, it’s doing its job. After three minutes give it a good final stir and pour it over those saltines, making sure they are good and covered. Pop the pan into a 400 degree oven for 7 minutes. The butter and sugar will soak and cook into the saltines, coating them in caramel goodness.
After 7 minutes you take out the tray and put it on a cooling rack. Pour a 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and nuke them for about 2-3 minutes until they turn into melted chocolate when you stir them. At this point pour the melted chocolate over the caramel saltines and spread that chocolatey goodness over the whole thing with a spatula until the entire layer is covered. Oh yes. Then put the whole thing into the fridge and chill it down until the whole thing is hardened together — usually about an hour.
Now you have a mass of caramel chocolate heaven…break it into irregular pieces and sample one. The caramel is crunchy and sugary. The chocolate is, well, chocolate. The saltine has practically disintegrated into all of it, leaving only a tiny crunch on the inside with just a hint of salt.
Now if you can bear to give this deliciousness away, drop them into your pretty glass jar and wrap the ribbon around the jar. Holiday Gift Extraordinaire. Do I look out for you or what?!
Happy Merry Ho Ho Ho!
- 1 sleeve saltines
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- 2. Line 11-17 baking pan with foil.
- 3. Lay out all saltines in a single layer in pan, sides touching
- 4. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and heat to boiling for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5. Pour butter/sugar mixture over saltines, making sure to cover all of them thoroughly.
- 6. Bake for 7 minutes.
- 7. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips in microwave for 2-3 minutes until they are completely melted when you stir them. Spread them on top of the saltines, covering completely
- 8. Refrigerate until completely cooled and hardened. Break into pieces.