This easy recipe for gnocchi with spring vegetables pairs soft, pillowy gnocchi pasta with carrots, peas and leeks for a delicious spring supper. Or any time of year for that matter! Pan-frying the gnocchi gives this simple dish a great rich flavor.
This recipe is one of the ones I pull out when I know spring is really, truly here. (Full disclosure: I also sometimes make it in the fall, and in the dead of winter, and in August.) But I always ALWAYS make it in the springtime, because there is just something about cheery carrots and peas and leeks all mixed up with fluffy little pan-fried gnocchi that tastes like spring.
I usually wait for this to happen in my back yard…
…which is rapidly followed by this…
You gotta appreciate a doggo who appreciates the aroma of fresh flowers in the springtime. OH, and you know who else I caught “appreciating” this tree yesterday? A woodchuck, who had climbed all the way to the top and was doing goodness knows what up there. I’m guessing having himself a snack of fresh flowers.
That led to a spirited discussion with the Southern husband about whether groundhogs and woodchucks are the same critter (they are, and I won). HA.
Anyway, this gnocchi recipe. Grab a pack of fresh gnocchi at your supermarket, along with some carrots and a leek and some peas. If you can find fresh peas they are amazing, but I usually can’t and so thawed frozen ones work just fine.
This easy recipe for gnocchi with spring vegetables pairs soft, pillowy gnocchi pasta with carrots, peas and leeks for a delicious spring supper.You are going to cook up the gnocchi (which if you have never had gnocchi you are in for such a treat. They are like a cross between a teeny dumpling and a super fancy Tater Tot and I love them). While they are cooking, cook up the peas and carrots and saute the leeks.
Last but not least, you are going to pan-fry the gnocchi until it gets just a little brown on the side. Mix it all up together, add some fresh thyme and Parmesan cheese and voila!
Spring has sprung! Happy spring, my friends!
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
This easy recipe for gnocchi with spring vegetables pairs soft, pillowy gnocchi pasta with carrots, peas and leeks for a delicious spring supper.
- One 16 ounce package potato gnocchi
- 1 leek, , light green and white sections only, cut in half, rinsed and sliced thinly
- 6 carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup peas (fresh or thawed frozen peas both work fine)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Chopped fresh thyme for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions.
- While gnocchi is cooking, simmer carrots in a pot of boiling water for 8 minutes or until tender. Add peas to the carrots and simmer for another 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add leek and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and gnocchi and sauté about 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, turning from time to time.
- Add peas, carrots and peels and stir until warmed through. Toss in thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among plates, sprinkle on parmesan and serve.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and along the way my recipes have also been featured in places including Huff Post, the Today Show, BuzzFeed and Glamour. My mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!
Framed Cooks is delighted to have appeared on these great sites!