This easy recipe for aglio e olio, otherwise known as pasta with lots of garlic and olive oil, is the perfect supper for busy nights! And (bonus points!) I’m betting you have all the ingredients in your pantry right now.
Well, we are out of the summer lounging season and back into the whirlwind of back to school and back to work and getting supper on the table in the midst of a thousand busy things on our list. And that is where this super easy recipe for aglio e olio comes in. Aglio e olio translates to garlic and oil, and that’s exactly what this is, along with Parmesan cheese and a little parsley and of course PASTA. It’s the perfect rush-around-day supper, for all kinds of reasons…not the least of which is that it is 100% delicious. And with that, let’s make it!
One of the things about getting supper on the table during busy days is making sure you have everything you need on hand, so you don’t find yourself in the situation of having to send whatever licensed driver happens to be nearby to the supermarket for just one more thing.
Anyway, one of the great things about this recipe is that I’m 99% sure you already have all the ingredients in your kitchen right this minute. Pasta, olive oil, garlic. Some parmesan cheese (not part of the traditional recipe but Oh So Good). A little salt and pepper. Parsley if you are feeling extra fancy. That’s it.
It’s ready in about 20 minutes, and after you have a bowl of this I think you might agree with me that there’s nothing else in the world that is quite this relaxing.
This easy recipe for aglio e olio, otherwise known as pasta with lots of garlic and olive oil, is the perfect supper for busy nights!
- Sea salt
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you are feeling spicy)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Right before you drain it, scoop out a cup of pasta water and save.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large deep skillet, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn golden on the edges. Add the red pepper and stir. Slowly pour in the pasta water and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the pasta to the garlic sauce and toss. Add the cheese and parsley and toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper and divide among plates, sprinkling with a little more cheese.
Updated from an earlier Framed Cooks post – now new and improved! :)
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!