All the deliciousness of lasagna can be yours in no time when you let some cheese ravioli help you with the cooking! Ravioli lasagna may turn into your new favorite pasta dish.
I love lasagna, but let’s all admit that sometimes we just don’t have the energy. The noodles, the layering, getting the right proportion of ricotta to mozzarella so that it is neither too dry nor too soupy…it’s exhausting, I tell you!
But I do love it. And then one day when we were having some fabulous ravioli for dinner (more on that later!) it occurred to me. Pasta. Ricotta. Sauce.
Here’s how you make ravioli lasagna!
Now, you have to start with some nice big ravioli – the best you can find. If you have an Italian market or some other source for homemade ravioli, this is the recipe you want it for. Go for the plain cheese kind.
You are also going to want a few cups of your favorite pasta sauce. I have made this with both some of my beloved slow cooker bolognese sauce, which adds some ground beef to the mix, and a simple tomato butter sauce which you can whip up in no time. Whatever your favorite is, that’s what you want. And if your favorite comes in a jar, that is just fine.
You also need a hunk of the nicest mozzarella you can find, because lasagna is nothing without truly fine mozz. And that’s it – the ravioli (cooked until it is just tender), the sauce and the mozzarella.
Layer them all together in a baking dish, sprinkle a little oregano on top and bake it all up until the cheese is melty.
And then spoon it out into warm bowls. Three or four raviolis are usually good for each person. Make sure they get their fair share of the melty scrumptious cheese.
It might possible turn out that you never make regular lasagna again. It could happen.
This recipe is endlessly customizable. Different kinds of ravioli, different kinds of sauce – mix and match ’em.
You’ll have plenty of time to experiment, given how much time you are saving by not spending hours making regular lasagna and all! Let me know if you come up with any varieties I should try…Print
- 12 large cheese ravioli, the best you can find!
- 2 cups tomato sauce, any variety
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Cook ravioli according to package directions and set aside in a single layer.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup sauce into the bottom of a square baking dish.
- Place 4 ravioli in the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with another 1/2 cup of sauce and a few slices of cheese. Repeat with remaining ravioli, sauce and cheese, ending with the cheese.
- Sprinkle with oregano and bake until the cheese is melting and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and then scoop out onto warmed plates.
Updated from an older Framed Cooks post