I have a box of brownie mix in my cupboard At All Times for, you know, brownie emergencies. I do have to say now that the Southern daughter and her pack of friends are all grown up and living in their own apartments with their own boxes of brownie mix (sob!) my brownie emergencies have slowed down a bit, to the point that my current box of brownie mix was nearing its expiration date. Since I take expiration dates very seriously, action had to be taken. And it was, in the form of these brownie cookies, which combine brownie mix with cinnamon, coffee, walnuts and a few other things to make a cookie that is 75% brownie, 25% other stuff and 100% chocolate-filled scrumptious.
It’s also one of those easy one bowl recipe that you can whip up in about 30 minutes from turning on the oven to putting the cookies on the cooling rack. Just combine a box of brownie mix, some butter, eggs, instant coffee, cinnamon and vanilla in your mixer. Mix it all up, and then stir in some chocolate chips (I love Ghiradelli chips SO much) and some walnuts, and use your handy cookie scoop to put tablespoon sized scoops of dough on a cookie sheet. 12 minutes in the oven, and there you have them. Chocolate perfection.
Do try and keep people’s mitts off them for at least five minutes so they have a chance to firm up before you transfer them from the cookie sheet to a cooling rack. After that, it’s every person for themselves and their brownie cookie.
And it just occurred to me – if I Snapchat enough of my scattered children a picture of two of these brownie cookies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in between them, I bet I stand a good chance of at least some of them coming home for the holidays a few days early!Print
- 1 box of brownie mix (family size or 13x9 pan size box)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat over to 350. Line cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Put brownie mix, melted butter, eggs, coffee powder, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixer and mix on medium speed until just blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts on slow speed until mixed in.
- Place tablespoon sized scoops of dough on the cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches in between cookies (they spread as they bake). Bake for 12 minutes.
- Cook for 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Be very sure to eat one while they are still warm!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!