A light and easy recipe for chicken in buttered white wine pan sauce turns ordinary chicken into an elegant and delicious dinner. Equally perfect for a regular weeknight supper or your next dinner party!
A light, easy recipe for chicken in buttered white wine pan sauce turns ordinary chicken elegant!Click To TweetFirst we are going to do what we usually do with you, which is pound you flat and saute you up quickly in a little olive oil and butter until you are nice and golden. But instead of serving you up all plain and ordinary, we are going to take another 10 minutes and cook up a lovely sauce to dress you up in.
Chicken, you old reliable stand-by, you. You are always here for us…on those days when we are running in a million different directions all day long, and at the end of that long day we come home to a house full of people with hungry, expectant looks on their faces, you never let us down. You are always, always reliable…but if I’m going to be totally honest, you CAN be just a teeny bit, well, boring. Unless we cook you up with an easy, elegant buttered white wine pan sauce. Then, chicken, you rock.
We’re going to pop some chopped shallots in that same pan that we cooked you up in and stir them up until they are all nice and tender. Then we’re going to simmer first some white wine and then some chicken broth to make a nice light sauce. And last but not least, we are going to swirl in some cold butter to give the sauce a silky, buttery texture. A few chopped herbs, some salt and pepper, and voila! Elegance.
I served you up with some baby spinach and some farro with chopped mozzarella, but with your lovely, easy, scrumptious buttered white wine pan sauce, you were definitely the star of the show. Here’s a quick video to show you how happily easy it is!
It’s amazing what an extra ten minutes can do!
- 4 chicken breast halves, pounded to ¼ inch thickness
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put olive oil and butter in a large heavy saucepan and heat over medium high until butter is melted. Add chicken and cook until golden on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Add shallots and saute until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add wine and cook until it is reduced to a tablespoon or two.
- Add broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cold butter and stir until it is melted. Stir in herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and turn the pieces over until they are coated with the sauce.
- Place chicken pieces on warmed plates, drizzle sauce on top and serve at once.