I’ve been seeing versions of this adorable little dessert pop up all over the place, and every time I read another approach to making it I knew it was only a matter of time before I gave it a whirl myself. I mean really…who could resist the thought of a warm, cinnamon topped cup of coffee cake that cooked in a mug. In the microwave. In less than two minutes. It was just too dang tempting to resist, so one lazy afternoon I pulled out my Peter Rabbit mug and got to work.
It took me a few tries before I landed on a version that was just right, and here’s a few important things to keep in mind. While it will work in whatever size mug you happen to have on hand, if you want that pretty puffing out of the top of the mug look in the picture above, you need a small mug. That one is actually part of the Southern daughter’s baby china set, and since she has abandoned me to go to college, I’ve claimed it as my own. It holds about a half a cup of liquid, so that gives you a sense of how small you need to go in order to make the cake puff out the top. However, if you use a bigger mug, it will still taste just fine. The Southern husband can attest to that, as he happily ate some of the earlier, bigger mug versions.
The only other thing I need to tell you before you run into your kitchen to try this is the following: now that I have figured out that it is possible to eat coffee cake about 3 minutes after I get the urge to eat coffee cake…well, all I will say is that this is dangerous information. Proceed at your own delicious risk!Print
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Put 2 tablespoons butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add egg, sour cream and vanilla and stir.
- Mix together 1/2 cup flour flour and baking powder and add to mixing bowl. Stir again.
- In a separate small bowl, mix remaining butter, 4 tablespoons flour, brown sugar and cinnamon until crumbly.
- Divide half of the egg mixture between two mugs. Divide half the cinnamon mixture and sprinkle into the mugs. Top with the remaining egg mixture, and then with the remaining cinnamon mixture.
- Microwave each mug (one at a time) for 1 minute and 15 seconds. The cake will puff up about an inch or so while it is cooking, so if you are using small mugs it will puff up over the top and if you are using regular sized mugs it won’t – either is fine!
- Let the cakes cool for a few minutes and then dig in with a spoon!