I love, love, love, love, love this recipe. Not just because it tastes SO good. Not just because it is fabulously good for you, being made up of chicken, veggies and a delightful broth-based braised sauce. But also because it means (and I know, I am tempting fate and potentially bringing one last snowfall down on our heads) that Spring is pretty close to being right around the corner.
I know this because at a certain point in time, the wonderful farm market near our house starts carrying these…
And that point in time was this past weekend. And that is the weekend each year that I haul out this recipe, and starting thinking positive thoughts about daffodils and grilling supper outside and the fact that one day, the relentless pile of snow at the corner of my driveway will actually be GONE.
Just a quick word about the recipe that is the actual point of this post: it’s a sweet and simple one where you sear chicken (bone-in variety please) in a teeny bit of olive oil. When the chicken is gorgeously brown, take it out and pour in some chicken broth (I love the Imagine and Pacific brands in the box, not the can) and scrape up all that browned goodness on the bottom of the pot. Now toss in some radishes and carrots, nestle the chicken pieces on top of the veggies, and cover the pot. About twenty-five minutes later you will have perfect, tender chicken, delicious cooked spring veggies and a rich, perfect sauce from the braising liquid. Dish it out, sprinkle with chives, and be happy with the thought that when the spring veggies appear, can these be far behind?Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken breast pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 medium radishes, halved
- 3/4 pound carrots (about 4), cut into sticks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until browned, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Spoon off and discard the fat. Return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the broth and scrape up any brown bits.
- Stir in the radishes and carrots.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and gently simmer, partly covered, until it is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives.
Adapted from Real Simple