Depending on what I have on hand, I will sometimes stir in a handful of flaked coconut (which will make it a wee bit sweeter) or a couple of shakes of hot sauce (which will make it a wee bit sassier)…or both. This goes perfectly with a nice grilled steak, and if you want to make it a one bowl meal, stir in some sliced chicken or poached shrimp.
I’m telling you…rice pilaf. MAGIC.
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup salted peanuts
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 few shakes of hot sauce (optional)
- Bring coconut milk and broth to a simmer and stir in rice and sugar. Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Add additional coconut milk as needed.
- Stir in peas, scallions and peanuts. Add coconut and/or hot sauce if you like. Serve at once.