Summer, you are finally here. After the longest winter EVER, we’ve finally reached those lazy, hazy days. Days full of swimming pools and beaches and leaving the windows open at night. And of course days and evenings full of barbecue lunches and suppers. Steaks and burgers and chicken on the grill, with potato salad and green salad on the side. The only thing that could possibly make things better might be to put the potato salad and the green salad together. As in Potato Caesar salad!
Which not only tastes scrumptious, but is also a fun conversation topic for the summer supper table, as in “hey, I never thought of putting potatoes in my Caesar salad/Caesar salad in my potato salad!”
Unless you are occupied with other summertime activities like blowing bubbles, or unless you are two. The things that grown-ups discuss are mysterious.
Back at the salad, make a quick dressing by combining an egg, some olive oil, some Parmesan cheese, a little chopped garlic and some salt and pepper in a jar and shaking vigorously. If it’s a plastic container with a very secure lid, the two year old can probably do the shaking part for you.
The salad itself is a combo of cooked baby potatoes and romaine lettuce – I go for a ratio of about 1/3 potato and 2/3 lettuce. Toss it all up with the dressing, and scatter a little extra Parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper on top for good measure.
- 1 egg
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 10-12 baby potatoes
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- Make dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a jar, putting the lid on tight and shaking vigorously until all ingredients are combined.
- Fill a pot with water, add potatos and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Cut any larger potatoes in half.
- Place potatoes and lettuce in a large bowl. Give the dressing one more shake and add to bowl. Toss lightly. Sprinkle with a little more Parmesan and pepper and serve.