I’m very into scrumptious savory spreads that can be whirled up in the food processor. Until recently my love was confined to my reliable beer cheese spread, but lately I have been branching out into other things that can be tossed into the food processor, spun around into deliciousness and be sitting on a cracker or a piece of celery 5 minutes later. So here’s the latest one, which is a lovely fluffy concoction of cheddar cheese, horseradish, white wine and a few other goodies.
You can vary the spiciness of this one by adjusting the amount of pepper up or down, keeping in mind that the horseradish is already going to add a bit of a zing to this. In a great way. And it truly is as simple as adding everything all at once to the food processor and whirling it away for about a minute…you maybe need to stop a time or two to push the bits on the side of the processor down, but that’s as strenuous as things get.
I like to serve this with both crackers or toasted french bread slices and celery slices. I also like to serve it in small ice cream sundae glasses, because they look so much fun and because I recently found them when we were renovating our kitchen and now I have this burning need to use them at any and all opportunity.
So there you have it…a delicious nibble that is simple and fast and perfect, which in the heart of the holiday season is a gift in and of itself!
Adapted just a little from the always wonderful Bon Appetit
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (as always, I like the Cabot variety!)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons horseradish
- Fresh ground pepper
- Paprika for garnish
- Crackers and celery sticks for serving
- Put all ingredients except for spices into food processor. Process until smooth, about one minute, stopping as needed to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Scoop into a pretty serving dish, sprinkle with paprika and serve with crackers and celery sticks.