Then there is the fact that the cheese part is worked into a simple creamy sauce that is guaranteed to stay on your plate and not on the bottom of your pan. And finally, this version includes, well, pasta. And peas. Both things that no self-respecting chicken cordon bleu purist would ever tolerate, but oh my goodness, the goodness.
Serves: 2 generous servings, or a light dinner for 4.
- 8 ounces bowtie pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken from the supermarket is great for this!)
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup diced ham
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1. Pour milk into a large heavy saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour. Stir until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the cheese to the milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 3. Add chicken, peas and ham and stir until heated through. Add pasta and stir until the whole mixture is well-combined.
- 4. Serve with a generous grinding of black pepper.