(Bonus points if you can spot me in that picture. It’s my favorite way to be photographed.)
Anyway, the quick story on this one is that you cook up some bacon pieces in a good sized skillet until they are just the right amount of crispy. Scoop ’em out and let them drain on some paper towels, but make sure you leave all the wonderful bacon grease in the skillet. Now take some asparagus that you have cut into one inch pieces and toss them in the skillet. You can use either the thick or the thin ones…the thick ones will just cook a little longer.
Stir them around until they are cooked but still a little crunchy. Once they are done, you’re going to stir in the bacon, some fresh chopped parsley, and your favorite mustard. Dijon works well here, but I recently found a spicy honey mustard that I’m in love with. You be you, mustard-wise. Once it’s all stirred together and warm, you’re done! Now tell me that you wouldn’t be just a little tempted to have that for breakfast? Me too.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite mustard
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until it is crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, leaving bacon drippings in skillet.
- Add asparagus and cook over medium heat until crisp-tender, stirring regularly. This will take you about 5 minutes for thin asparagus and closer to 10 for thick asparagus.
- Stir in bacon, mustard and parsley, and stir for about one more minute until the mixture is fully combined and warm. Serve at once.
Honey Breadcrumb Asparagus from Framed Cooks
Asparagus and Asiago Gratin from Leite’s Culinaria
Shaved Asparagus with Lemon from Framed Cooks
Recipe adapted just a little from Everyday Food