If someone told me I was moving to a desert island and could only take asparagus OR bacon with me, I’d be torn. Okay, I wouldn’t be torn, I’d totally take the bacon in a heartbeat…but I’d shed a tear for the asparagus, because I love it, love it, love it. And just in case that happens, I figured I’d better make something that puts both of these together, because you can’t ever be too safe. And so…mustard bacon asparagus!
This is the kind of side dish that is perfect if you are making something pretty straighforward on the grill – grilled chicken or steak for example – because between the asparagus and the mustard and the bacon, there are a whole lot of taste sensations going on. It’s also a dish that will come together in pretty much the same time as whatever you have going on on the grill. And/or you can do what I sometimes do, which is have this and only this for dinner. Or lunch. Breakfast? With a poached egg on top? I’m feeling it. I always feel a teeny bit guilty for serving side dishes to the Southern husband for dinner, but since he usually reacts like this, I keep doing it.
(Bonus points if you can spot me in that picture. It’s my favorite way to be photographed.)
Anyway, the quick story on this one is that you cook up some bacon pieces in a good sized skillet until they are just the right amount of crispy. Scoop ’em out and let them drain on some paper towels, but make sure you leave all the wonderful bacon grease in the skillet. Now take some asparagus that you have cut into one inch pieces and toss them in the skillet. You can use either the thick or the thin ones…the thick ones will just cook a little longer.
Stir them around until they are cooked but still a little crunchy. Once they are done, you’re going to stir in the bacon, some fresh chopped parsley, and your favorite mustard. Dijon works well here, but I recently found a spicy honey mustard that I’m in love with. You be you, mustard-wise. Once it’s all stirred together and warm, you’re done! Now tell me that you wouldn’t be just a little tempted to have that for breakfast? Me too.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite mustard
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until it is crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, leaving bacon drippings in skillet.
- Add asparagus and cook over medium heat until crisp-tender, stirring regularly. This will take you about 5 minutes for thin asparagus and closer to 10 for thick asparagus.
- Stir in bacon, mustard and parsley, and stir for about one more minute until the mixture is fully combined and warm. Serve at once.
Honey Breadcrumb Asparagus from Framed Cooks
Asparagus and Asiago Gratin from Leite’s Culinaria
Shaved Asparagus with Lemon from Framed Cooks
Recipe adapted just a little from Everyday Food