Salt and Vinegar Roasted Potatoes

Is there anything better than potatoes?  I like them mashed, I liked them made into fries, I like them sliced on top of a cottage pie.  I like them here, I like them there, I like them like them everywhere.  I especially like those adorable little baby ones…you know the ones I mean.  The little tiny red and white ones, the ones that make it possible for you to eat multiple potatoes at the same meal and still feed kind of virtuous.    Kind of.  Hey, they are vegetables!  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

So besides mashing them up with lots of butter and cream, which I completely concede is the absolute best way on earth to prepare a potato, I think I just stumbled upon the next best approach to potato heaven.  It’s completely easy, completely delicious, and only involves four things.  Potatoes (natch).  Olive oil.  Coarse salt.  And this…

Now, I admit that finding malt vinegar can be a bit of a challenge.  I actually found mine in the international foods section of my supermarket, in there with the Cadbury chocolate and the really good English breakfast tea…but if you get really desperate you can click here.  And if THAT doesn’t work, you can use regular old cider vinegar.  It will be almost as good.

Take those cute little potatoes and boil them up in salted water until they are tender, about 20 minutes or so.  Drain them, and now comes the fun part.  Put them in groups of three or four on a clean dishtowel and fold it over.  Now take a potato masher or a can of tomatoes or whatever you have that is heavy and flat, and press down gently on each potato until they flatten up just slightly.  Now transfer them all to a cookie sheet, brush them with a little olive oil and bake ‘em until they are just a little crispy on the outside.

When they are out of the oven, toss them with that vinegar and sprinkle on some coarse salt…and then have an internal argument with yourself about whether these are maybe even better than those mashed potatoes that have always been in first place in your heart.  It’s a conundrum for sure.

Salt and Vinegar Roasted Potatoes

Salt and Vinegar Roasted Potatoes

1 1/2 pounds small round or fingerling potatoes
Coarse salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup malt vinegar

In a medium pot, bring potatoes to a boil over high in salted water. Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes; drain. Place a folded dish towel on a work surface and place a potato inside. Gently smash potato so that it is flattened but still in one piece (edges will split). Repeat with remaining potatoes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place potatoes on sheet and brush tops with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until crisp and golden, 35 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Remove from oven, toss with vinegar, and season with salt.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

Yum

Comments

1. PoetessWug says:

Is there anything better than potatoes?…Answer = NO!!! ^_^ And I love vinegar and salt potatoes too! But the malt vinegar is new to me! MUST TRY!!! :-] And a big old Spud 'thank you' too!

2. jillian :: cornflake dreams. says:

wowzah those look fantastic! and full o flavor. xoxo jillian:: enter in TWO GIVEAWAYS over at cornflake dreams

3. Given that salt and vinegar potatoes are possibly one of my most favorite things EVER…I have to declare these addictive! Utterly addictive. Def can't just have one.

4. I've had this recipe bookmarked for weeks and finally found the malt vinegar today. I cannot wait to make these!

5. Potatoes are my weakness. These sound wonderful!

6. Mama.Mommy.Mom. says:

Oh, my! These look so good! I love salt and vinegar. Mmmmm…!

Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com

7. These sound absolutely scrumptious!

8. Catherine says:

Wow! I am in London. Salt and vinegar potato crisps (chips in the US) are everywhere here. And in a fish and chip shop malt vinegar and salt are usually added to the take-out chips (fries in US). Never thought to do them this way but it makes so much sense. Actually, I just wanted to brag about the wonderfully flavoured crips we have here – cheese and onion, worcester sauce, steak, bacon, the list goes on. So good with a beer in the pub. And for a nice summer drink try beer mixed with lime cordial, or clear lemonade, which is like 7 up. The last drink is called a Shandy. The former lager and lime. For non alcohol drinkers, try ginger beer/ale with a fresh lime wedge squeezed over and dropped in.

9. I made these last night and we loved them! I went a little light on the malt vinegar because I didn't know if I'd like it that much, but next time, I'll use more :) Awesome recipe!

10. Having these with fish this weekend-yum!

11. OH MY GOSH! This recipe is just up my alley. I love the salt and vinegar flavor. Perfect side dish for tonights dinner. Thanks!

saffakate.blogspot.com

12. yummm looks so good! can't wait to make them.

Yep, there's nothing like salt and vinegar…I think these might be my "side dish of the summer of 2011"…meaning I might have to make them another 50 times this summer. :)

14. I have the Martha recipe this was adapted from and it lists 1 and a 1/2 pounds of potatoes (your recipe here just lists a 1/2 pound)–not sure if you meant it to be this way or not but I thought I would let you know just in case–I am trying them tonight, hope they taste as good as your pictures! :)

Tasha, you are so right – thank you and I have changed it. Although in real life, I pretty much estimate 4-5 little potatoes per each person eating and wing it from there, I don't actually weigh 'em. But I know folks that do, so thanks! :)

16. Okay. My husband loves salt & vinegar potato chips so much that when I buy them 6 year old son has always called them "Daddy Chips." So I made these for my side dish for Father's Day yesterday (as a surprise). Oh. My. Goodness. They were FABULOUS! Such a nice change of pace from the norm. Thanks so much!

17. I made these potatoes tonight and even Henry, my 11 year old who isn’t a fan of potatoes, had 2nds. The malt vineager is key and I had two Stop-n-Shop boys looking for it. They found it in the Irish section. This is a keeper for sure.

18. Yes, as soon as I was aware of malt vinegar I started seeing it EVERYWHERE! So glad Henry liked ‘em…they are one of my favorites!

19. I know this is an old thread, but you can buy a bottle of malt vinegar at any Long John Silvers restaurant.

20. boil the potatoes in 1 1/2 cups of table salt and 2 qts of water. only use small red potatoes 2 in by 1 in so they will all cook evenly. Boil till soft drain. Let cool for 10 min. Gently smash. Transfer to an oiled cookie sheet. Brush with malt vinegar then bake till crispy. Remove from oven brush with malt vinegar again and serve. Cooks Illustrated has this awesome recipe and its to die for.