Things I love in life:
2. The Southern husband
4. English muffins
5. Baby Spinach
6. Noisy, disobedient but lovable dogs
7. Eggs, over easy
8. Noisy, disobedient but lovable teenagers.
Five of these things are part of the sandwich we had for dinner tonight. (And by the way, don’t you love sandwiches-for-dinner night? I do. Add that to the above list.)
I won’t lie to you, this is a messy one to eat, but man, is it worth every single drip and spatter. You toast up the muffins and while they are still warm, spread on some nice soft Brie. Yes, on both sides. Let them sit there while you slather some maple syrup on the bacon and cook it in the oven. While the bacon is cooking, saute some baby spinach until it is nice and soft, and then cook up some eggs, over easy – as hard or soft as you like. I like soft, myself.
Now slide the egg onto the bottom half of the muffin, lay some spinach over the egg, and a couple of maple bacon pieces over the spinach. Pop the other muffin half on top. At this point, the heat of everything is going to start turning that cheese into a melty sauce of molten Brie, and you may start to weep a little in anticipation. This is normal. Now sit down and get ready to eat the best egg sandwich in the world.
Serves: 1 delicious serving!
- Two strips bacon, each cut in half
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- One English muffin, split
- 2 large slices of Brie cheese, softened
- One egg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425. Cover baking sheet (use one with sides) with foil and lay bacon on top.
- Brush with maple syrup. Bake for 10 minutes or until bacon is done to your liking.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in skillet and saute spinach until wilted, about 2 minutes. Cover with skillet cover and set aside.
- Toast English muffin and as soon as it is toasted, spread both sides with cheese.
- Heat butter in second small skillet over medium heat until melted. Fry egg until yolk is soft set. Flip and cook another minute longer.
- Lay egg on bottom of English muffin. Top with spinach. Cover spinach with bacon. Cover with top of English muffin.