Shrimp, coconut, tomato and rice…it’s warm and wonderful coconut shrimp risotto! This easy seafood recipe tastes like supper in the tropics.
I’d just like to start by saying I just LOVE this recipe. I adore it. I’ve had it forever, and tweaked and adjusted and polished it over the years, and it’s probably my favorite risotto in the entire world. So I need you to make it as quickly as possible!
Now, I know some folks will find this controversial, but my approach to risotto is that you don’t have to stand there stirring it the whole time, adding liquid one tiny bit at a time. You honestly don’t, and this recipe (did I mention that I love it??) is the living proof. That is one of the great things about this lovely dish – minimal risotto stirring.
Shrimp, coconut, tomato and rice...it's warm and wonderful coconut shrimp risotto! This easy seafood recipe tastes like supper in the tropics.Here’s another exhilerating fact: instead of the chicken broth that most risottos call for, this one uses coconut milk. That’s right…creamy, scrumptious coconut milk being absorbed into each and every one of those lucky grains of rice. You can taste it already, right?
So, once the rice has cooked in its sweet-smelling coconut bath, you finish it off by adding in some diced shrimp, some chopped tomato and a lacing of red pepper just to give the coconut sweetness a tiny little bite.
Last but not least, right before serving you swirl in about a cup of shredded coconut and once you have dished it out, you scatter a handful of chopped parsley over the top of each serving. The whole thing clocks in at just under 30 minutes to make, and as an extra added bonus your whole kitchen will smell gorgeous and tropical and exotic. Here’s a quick video to show you how easily this scrumptious risotto comes together!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That’s all I have to say about this one, and I think that is what you’ll say once you taste it!!
Shrimp, coconut, tomato and rice…it’s warm and wonderful coconut shrimp risotto! This easy seafood recipe taste like supper in the tropics.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup diced canned tomato
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of wine and boil, stirring once or twice, until mixture is just about dry. Add the cup of water and repeat, stirring once or twice. Add half the coconut milk and cook, stirring just enough to keep the rice from sticking, until it is just about gone. Add remaining coconut milk and repeat.
- The rice should be almost tender at this point — if it needs more cooking add another 1/2 cup of wine or water and cook until absorbed.; Stir in tomato, shrimp and red pepper and cook until shrimp is cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in shredded coconut.
- Ladle portions onto plates and scatter parsley over the top of each. Decide that this is your new favorite risotto!
Updated from an earlier Framed Cooks post!