Looking for easy, dreamy creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese that doesn’t require any time in the oven? Here’s your recipe! (And your kids’ favorite.) So toss that boxed mac and cheese, because you have found super creamy macaroni and cheese right here!
If you asked me what my favorite recipe was on this site (and as of this moment, I have over 1,200 recipes), it would most definitely be my cornmeal and brown sugar crusted bacon, OBVIOUSLY. But my second would be one of the simplest, most classic dishes on here, which is super creamy macaroni and cheese, cooked on the stovetop for maximum creaminess. Ready for some good old-fashioned comfort food wonderfulness? Let’s make it!
This was one of the very first recipes I ever published on this blog, and every now and again I go back and revisit those old favorites – I tell myself because I need to take a better picture of them (always true) and spiff up the recipe a little (usually true), and I needed to do both here. But honestly? I also really wanted an excuse to make creamy macaroni and cheese.
Because here’s the thing: back when I first published this recipe, I had a house full of teenagers. My own and her pack of always hungry friends. Creamy macaroni and cheese was their fave, and it was on the menu at least once a week.
Those two tweens up there? The one on the left is a grown-up, soon to be married first grade teacher living 1,000 miles away (sob), the one on the right is ALSO a grown-up (and her maid of honor), the whole pack of once-teenage friends are all doing their own grown-up things, and while I am ridiculously proud of all of them, that creamy macaroni and cheese recipe has most definitely fallen out of the rotation.Looking for easy, dreamy creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese that doesn't require any time in the oven? Here's your recipe! (And your kids' favorite.)Click To TweetSo while it definitely won’t be coming back once a week, I decided the Southern husband and I deserved a little dreamy creamy macaroni and cheese of our own. It comes together in about 20 minutes (and that counts boiling up the macaroni!) and is the most comfort food version of macaroni and cheese you will ever find! Here’s a quick little video to show you how deliciously easy it is…
What’s your go-to easy comfort food? Tell me in the comments!
Looking for easy, dreamy creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese that doesn’t require any time in the oven? Here’s your recipe! (And your kids’ favorite.)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar (I recommend Cabot)
- Cook macaroni until tender in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour and whisk to combine, about one minute. Whisking constantly, add milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, whisking occasionally.
- Take off heat and stir in cheeses and one teaspoon salt until cheese is fully melted. Add pasta and stir over medium low heat until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Ladle into warm dishes and watch the faces light up in happiness.