Hey everyone! Has spring finally sprung by you yet? We have had a whole string of days where we have gotten to 60 degrees. Or at least in the 50 degree range. The heaping piles of snow in my yard have been reduced to one stubborn icy patch by the basketball hoop and snow? If it means I have to get out there with my blow dryer and an extension cord, your days are NUMBERED.
So now that spring is getting spring-like, I’m facing my usual unstoppable need to cook with all kinds of fresh herbs. I’m a good month away from being in the safe zone of planting my own, so I am throwing all fiscal caution to the wind and paying the price for getting them at the supermarket, so I can make things like tortellini with fresh dill and peas. Because, SPRING!The thing about buying dill in the supermarket is that it comes in giant bunches, and you only need about 2 tablespoons for this recipe, so please click here and here and here for other ways to use up your glorious spring-time smelling dill. But in the meantime..here goes the tortellini recipe.
You need a package of the best cheese tortellini you can get your mitts on. Cook it up and save a little of the pasta water when you drain it. Now saute up some chopped leeks in a little butter just until they are soft. Stir in the peas for a minute or two.
Now add the cooked tortellini, the parmesan cheese and just enough pasta water to make a light sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper. And finally, stir in that gorgeous, aromatic dill.
Now find your prettiest, springiest plates, ladle on that tortellini and give it one more sprinkle of parmesan cheese and dill. Take a bite…it’s going to taste like THIS….
In other words…like Spring!Print
Tortellini with an easy parmesan dill sauce tastes just like springtime in this easy recipe!
- 16 ounces fresh tortellini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, white and light green parts rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Scoop out a cup of the pasta water and drain the tortellini.
- Melt in the butter in a heavy deep skillet over medium heat. Add leek and cook until just tender.
- Add peas and stir for a minute. Add tortellini, parmesan and just enough pasta water to make a light sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in dill. Yay!
- Divide among plates, garnish with parmesan and a little more dill and serve.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!