Cauliflower! Sometimes I don’t think it gets the love and respect it deserves. It’s kind of plain when you stack it up next to the showier veggies like asparagus and beets and broccoli, with all their bright colors. So let’s give the humble cauliflower a little help. As in, let’s steam it up until it is nice and tender, and then let’s drizzle it with an extravagant amount of blue cheese sauce and sprinkle it lovingly with chopped scallions. Let’s do that.
Steaming cauliflower is as easy as pie. Carve out the bottom of the stem, and then sit it in about an inch of water in a large deep pot. Pop the lid on and simmer the water for about 15 minutes, or until a paring knife slides into your cauliflower easily.
While that is going on, make the sauce out of a little butter, flour, milk and blue cheese. When the cauliflower is ready, set it on a plate and drizzle the sauce on. Drizzle a LOT, and put the extra in a little pitcher in case folks want to do even more drizzling once they get their serving. Sprinkle some scallions on top and you are ready to roll.
- 1 head cauliflower, stem end cut out
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 pound blue cheese, crumbled
- One scallion, chopped
- Fill a large deep pot with 1 inch water, and place cauliflower in the pot. Cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes or until a paring knife slides easily into the cauliflower.
- Make sauce by melting butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for one minute. Add milk and and stir until mixture is slightly thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- When the cauliflower is melted, pour sauce generously over the top and scatter scallions over the top. Serve with extra sauce in a pitcher.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!