If there is one thing I love for Sunday dinner, it’s oven-roasted chicken with lots of veggies. And if there is one thing I love with my oven-roasted chicken and veggies, it’s stuffing. And if there is one thing I love more than oven-roasted chicken with veggies and stuffing, it’s a recipe that lets you cook all of them together in one lovely casserole so that all the chicken~veggie~stuffing goodness all melds together into Sunday dinner heaven. Welcome to that recipe.
You need a few cups of roasted shredded chicken for this one, and if you are making this on a Sunday, go ahead and roast your own chicken (you can find the world’s best and easiest recipe for roasting chicken at the ever-fabulous Leite’s Culinaria by clicking here.) If you are making this in the middle of a crazy work week, a supermarket rotisserie chicken is just plain fine.
The other thing you are going to need is some cornbread – also fine to pick some up in the supermarket, although I used one of those cute little boxes of Jiffy cornbread which is ridiculously easy to make and ready in, well, a jiffy.
Now! Saute up some onions and celery in a little butter until everything is nice and soft, and then mix up the veggies with the crumbled up cornbread and regular bread, some chicken broth, a couple of eggs and some herbs and spices. You’re then going to layer this into a casserole with the shredded chicken and bake it up until everything is golden brown. When it comes out of the oven it will be a crunchy~creamy concoction of chicken and stuffing deliciousness. Serve a peas and carrots mixture on the side for some extra veggies and you will SWEAR you’ve been transported back to Sunday dinner at your grandma’s house.
So there you go…Sunday dinner chicken and stuffing wonderfulness. Go make some.
Recipe lightly adapted from the wonderful AROUND THE SOUTHERN TABLE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 3 cups chicken broth (I like the boxed Pacific and Imagine varieties)
- 6 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 13×9 inch or similar capacity casserole.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat and saute onion and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Put sauteed veggies in a large bowl with all remaining ingredients except for chicken. Let it stand for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon half the mixture into the casserole. Top with the chicken, and then with the other half of the cornbread mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!