These open face sandwiches with avocado, egg and smoked salmon are all you need for the perfect quick breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Yes, I realize that these Open Face Sandwiches with Avocado, Egg and Smoked Salmon have a ridiculously long name. I really need to come up with something clever to call them, like the Egg McSalmon, or the Guacascramble. Not that those are clever at all. I just can’t wrap my brain around it, so in the meantime I’m just going to have to call it that crazy name above, and tell you that regardless of what you name it, it still tastes delicious! I made it on one of those nights where I just couldn’t bear to spend more than the 3 minutes it took me to scramble the eggs standing anywhere near a hot cooking device. Yep, it was 98 degrees outside. 98. Degrees.
On days like that, you are pretty much reduced to salads and sandwiches, which is pretty much fine with me, as I love an excuse for Sandwich Night. In an ideal world, this particular sandwich is AMAZING if you grill the bread on an actual grill…it adds that slightly charred, crispy taste and texture that you can only get on, well, a grill. But even I couldn’t bring myself to send the Southern husband out to the grill, what with the 98 degrees and all. Nope, this version went in the toaster, which is not quite as wonderful but a whole lot more humane. When it is 98 degrees.
Anyway…while your bread is grilling or toasting, scramble up a few eggs and let them cool a little. Mash up an avocado with a little lime juice. Now you are about two minutes from a rocking great sandwich that goes like this: bread, spread with mashed avocado, topped with scrambled eggs, garnished with some strips of smoked salmon, with a little fresh ground pepper on top. Sandwich Night. Love it!
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Olive oil
- 1 avocado
- Lime juice
- 2 eggs
- Smoked salmon, sliced into strips
- Fresh ground pepper
- Brush both side of bread with olive oil, and either grill them on both sides or toast them until they are golden brown. Toasting them is easier, but grilling them gives them an out of this world grilled taste.
- Mash avocado with a few squeezes of lime juice. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and then scramble them in a skillet over medium heat until they are just set.
- Assemble sandwiches as follows: spread avocado over each slice of bread, top with eggs and a strip or two of salmon, and grind a little black pepper over all.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!