The dressing can be stirred up in two shakes…I like a combo of sour cream, buttermilk, mayo and blue cheese, thinned with a little milk until it is still thick but also pourable. Once you have your lovely dressing, all that’s left is the assembly, which you will want to do right before serving time. Place a wedge on each plate. Drizzle a generous amount of dressing on top – generous being the key word here! Now scatter the following over and around the wedge: halved cherry tomatoes, chives, fresh ground pepper, blue cheese crumbles and cooked bite-sized pieces of bacon. Most wedge salads use regular bacon and that is perfectly fine for this one too, but if you want your wedge salad to ascend to all new heights, try it with the candied bacon I wrote about earlier this week. Mmmm, mmm, mmmmmmmm.
Now all I need to do is get the Southern husband to create a moules frites recipe for me and we may never have to leave the house again.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 sliced bacon, cooked and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- Fresh chopped chives for garnish
- Fresh ground pepper for garnish
- Blue cheese crumbles for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Milk for thinning as needed
- 1. Make the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients except for the milk and stirring with a fork until well combined (some chunks of blue cheese are good - it shouldn't be totally smooth). Thin it with just enough milk that it is still thick but pourable.
- 2. Peel the outside 1 or 2 leaves off of the lettuce and cut it into quarters lengthwise (from core to top) so you have 4 wedges. Carefully cut the core part out of the end of each wedge, and place each wedge on a plate.
- 3. Generously drizzle the dressing on top of each wedge. Divide the tomatoes and bacon around each wedge. Sprinkle each with chives and a grinding of pepper, and scatter a few cheese crumbles on and around each wedge. Serve at once.