Now while I was deliriously happy with my egg drop soup exactly as it was, we happened to be at Trader Joe’s at one point, and they had some adorable little frozen shrimp dumplings – fully cooked and just needing to be microwaved. So I microwaved a few and dropped them into my egg drop soup…and just when I thought it couldn’t get any better? It got better.
So while I hope you never ever get a sore throat of your own, if you do…egg drop soup. And if you don’t…egg drop soup anyway!
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine boxed varieties)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- 1. Put chicken broth, soy sauce and ginger in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and stir until slightly thickened. Turn heat down to low.
- 3. Pour in beaten egg and whisk gently for about a minute...the egg will separate a little into strands as it cooks.
- 4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you have dumplings on hand, this is the time to add them in. Garnish with scallions. Serve at once.