What’s better than creamy, dreamy roasted vegetable soup that is thick and hearty and warm and delicious? Creamy, dreamy roasted vegetable soup that has not one drop of cream in it but tastes like it does! Yep, that pretty bowl of deliciousness up there is roasted veggies, some herbs and spices and chicken broth and somehow magically tastes like it also has a nice lacing of cream…but nope. Other than that garnish of sour cream up there, it’s as cream-free as creamy soup can be.
So how can this be? I’m not sure, other than to say that this soup has such a wonderful conglomeration of roasted veggies that all come together in perfect harmony. Such as…
Sweet and delicious carrots. Also gives it a festive orange color!
Tomatoes! These are heirlooms because that’s the picture I had handy, but the recipe actually calls for plum tomatoes. And even if you use out of season plum tomatoes that don’t taste like much raw, once you roast them they will have a gorgeous tomato flavor.
Garlic. Of course. Everything is better with garlic.
Joining this wonderful cast of characters is zucchini, which I really need to take a picture of, but you can just imagine! All of these get cut up and tossed with some oil and herbs and spices and roasted until everything is soft and tender. Now all that’s left to do is blend it all up in your trusty blender with some chicken broth until everything is smooth and wonderful. Now heat it all up slowly, adjust the seasoning, and you are in creamy, dreamy roasted vegetable soup heaven. I did garnish mine with a teeny spoonful of sour cream, but that part is up to you – it’s all about how angelic you want to be. One way or the other, you are in for one scrumptious bowl of soup!
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 4 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth (I like the boxed Imagine and Pacific varieties) plus more for thinning the soup if needed
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with foil. Toss vegetables, garlic, oil, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper together and place on baking sheet in an even layer. Roast until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove garlic peels.
- Combine vegetables with chicken broth and in blender and process until smooth (you may have to work in batches).
- Pour vegetable puree into a saucepan, add paprika and heat over medium heat, thinning with extra chicken broth as needed until it is hot and the consistency you like. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with sour cream if you like and serve.