So, I read somewhere recently that cauliflower season runs from October to April, which sent me into a mild panic because I try hard to find/cook/eat vegetables and fruits when they are in season…mainly because they taste best when they are in season, and also because it appeals to the compulsively over-organized part of my personality. (Those of you who have looked in my spice cabinet know what I mean.
At any rate, I realized that cauliflower season was Almost Over and I hadn’t made anywhere near enough cauliflower anything. (I actually don’t think I made a single cauliflower thing, and I don’t know why. I really love cauliflower. It’s a mystery.) Anyway, once this dawned on me it was then a mad rush to make this simple and simply wonderful soup. It’s basically cauliflower (you might have guessed that part), a few other veggies, some cheddar cheese, some chicken broth, a little evaporated milk and voila! Warm and wonderful soup, perfect for an easy supper on the last of the early spring nights where there is still a little nip in the air.
Phew, made it right under the cauliflower wire.Print
- 2 cups chicken broth (I like the Imagine and Pacific brand in the box, not the can)
- 1 head cauliflower (about a pound), broken into large pieces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 five ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I love the Cabot brand!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Add all ingredients except milk and cheese to a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours until cauliflower is very tender.
- Ladle mixture into a food processor and process until smooth. (Depending on the size of your food processor you may need to do this in batches.)
- Return pureed mixture to saucepan and stir in milk and cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls, garnish with a little parsley and serve.
Recipe adapted from BETTY CROCKER SMART COOK