Cookie Truffles

Three ingredients.

One hour.

36 mindblowing truffles.

MINDBLOWING.

And you know I never exaggerate.

But let me back up for a minute. This all started as I was roaming around the Bakerella website. There is an area on this fabulous site called “Bite-size,” which always fascinates me. There are a ton of things that I am way too intimidated or impatient to try, like little cake lollipops on sticks, but there are also lots of little baby sweet treats that draw me in like a moth to a flame. And when I saw the words “Nutterbutter” and “truffle” in the same sentence…well, they had me at hello. Or to be perfectly accurate, they had me at Nutterbutter.

So here’s what you need: one package of Nutterbutter cookies. One package of cream cheese. One package of chocolate candy melts (I got the kind made by Wilton. If you have a Michael’s craft store anywhere nearby, they sell them in all sorts of flavors.) You grind up almost the entire package of cookies in your friendly food processor until they are completely pulverized. Then dump the cookie crumbs into a bowl and mix them up with the softened cream cheese. Honestly, the best way to do this is with your hands. It will seem like a REALLY bad idea for the first 30 seconds or so but trust me, it will all come together. Once the cookies and cream cheese have come together in a smooth truffle dough, start rolling pieces of dough into little one inch balls of heaven. You will be powerless against taking little bites of the truffle dough as you go along, and you will see that it tastes kind of like Nutterbutter cheesecake.

Once you are done making the little balls, it’s time for the coating. I dumped the candy melts into a bowl and nuked them for about 2 minutes on 50% power in my microwave, stirring them at 30 second intervals until they were perfectly melted and creamy and smooth. Then all you need to do is roll the little truffle balls in the melted chocolate (I found this easiest by putting them on a teaspoon and swirling them around). Place them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper, and when you are done, put them in the fridge so the chocolate can harden back up.

From there on in, you are in Nutterbutter truffle heaven. I thought life could not get any better. And then…

…I made Oreo truffles, with white chocolate coating. All I will say is, I left some on the counter the day my beloved housecleaning guy came this week, and he left me the following note:

“Sweet Mother of God, those oreo truffles are out of this world FANTASTIC!!!”

That pretty much sums things up.

Cookie Truffles

• 1 16 oz package Nutterbutters or Oreos
  • 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 14 ounce package candy melts
  1. Place all but 6 cookies in food processor and process until ground to fine crumbs.
  2. Put crumbs and cream cheese in bowl and mix until completely combined.
  3. Form dough into one inch balls
  4. Melt candy in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each heating, until melted.
  5. Coat each ball in candy and place on cookie sheet covered in wax paper.
  6. Chill in refrigerator until candy is hardened.
  7. Do what you will with those 6 extra cookies.

Recipe adapted just a little from Bakerella

Comments

1. Jules and Ruby says

you ROCK !…i'm making these tomorrow. i just went to Micheal's today and picked up some melting choc. can't wait.

2. Andrea says

Your pictures cause major drooling on my part! Thank you for posting this recipe and the pics, I've printed this off and will try them for the holidays!
    Your blog is rockin!

3. Katie says

I happened to pick up some candy melts from Michael's on Friday. I don't know what made me buy them – I didn't have any particular project in mind – and then I got home and read your blog and now it's obvious that the universe was preparing me for these truffles.

I grabbed some snack packs of cookies from the bodega, and used about 2 tablespoons cream cheese per 6 oreos or 4 Nutterbutters (one snack package), and they turned out great.

I'm definitely making these for a party next weekend! Thanks!

4. Kate Morgan Jackson says

Thanks everyone! I do love these cookie truffles. :-) I seem to be in a candy mood these days…I think I am going to try pumpkin fudge tomorrow. It involves marshmallow creme…that's all I'll say. If it turns up I will post it. :-)

5. Lyvvie says

Hello! I found this link via Foodgawker and I'm glad I did. I made these this afternoon with my 5 yr old and we had a great time. I used gingernut cookies and added a bit of orange peel and a second batch with strawberry cream wafers.

Thank you so much for the inspiration! I can't wait to make these for all those kids school events and Australia day will now have Anzac Truffles!

6. Kate Morgan Jackson says

Lyvvie, what great ideas! I guess it shows that this recipe will work with whatever your favorite cookie is…I may try Thin Mints next…wouldn't that be great for the holidays? :-)

7. gradland says

These are chilling in the fridge as I write and I don't think I've had such a heavenly sweet-making experience in ages…hovering over the stove as the chocolate melted, dipping leftover cookies into the hot chocolate after I'd coated all the little balls…the boyfriend will not know what hit him when he gets home tonight!

8. Myrnie says

I'm risking myself here by saying I don't like her cake pops- boxed cake mix plus canned frosting doesn't do it for me.

But these? I could get behind these :)

9. The Wifey says

Hi! Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to your recipe and nine others in a blog post this week, and can't wait to try it out! Thanks for this awesome kitchen contribution!

—The Wifey

10. Kitchen Butterfly says

Love, love, love the photos. Just so you know, these are on my list. Someday soon I will make them!

11. Leslie says

I made these today. I think my husband will inhale them once he gets home, better have a couple myself before then or I might get none.

12. Anonymous says

Is there anything you can substitute the cream cheese for if you don't like cheese? Crazy I know not to like cheese but otherwise these look delicious!

13. Kate Morgan Jackson says

Anonymous: on the cream cheese question, much as I love to be flexible, I don't think there is a substitute (but readers, if you disagree please chime in!). However once those cookie crumbs are mixed in you will never know there is cream cheese involved!

14. shirlene says

I made these using Mint Oreo Fudge Creme Cookies! The pkg size is 8.5 oz so I used 2 pkg and then I had 3 oz pkg's of cream cheese so I used 3 of them. The results were awesome! Thanks for the inspiration to get into the kitchen and give these a try. :)

15. Alicen says

Does anyone know if almond bark would be okay to use? I have some of that in my pantry that I've been waiting for the perfect thing to use it with.

16. FramedCooks says

Hmmm…I think you could probably pulverize the cookies in a blender, or even with a mallet or a rolling pin….just make sure you really make them into dust-like crumbs. As long as you can do that you are good to go!

17. YuGin says

What did you use to make the white chocolate coating for the Oreo truffles? I tried melting white chocolate with butter and it turned out a mess :(

• Kate says

Oh no! Melting chocolate is SO tricky. I used Nestle white chocolate chips, but if you want them to be COMPLETELY safe in terms of melting, you can use candy melts. This is chocolate that has been specially made for melting. I use the Wilton brand…they aren’t in supermarkets, but I can always find them in craft stores like Michaels. They work every time!

• Kate says

Hi Carina! I use two spoons – I use the first one to gently drop the truffle in the melted chocolate, and the second to roll it around a little and then scoop it out. Once you get the hang of it it actually goes pretty fast.