This classic dish of bread with melted cheese (also known as Welsh Rabbit) gets a flavor boost with this easy recipe for tomato bacon Welsh Rarebit. Because everything is better with juicy tomatoes…and of course, bacon!
I really did want to title this post “Welsh Rabbit,” since that is the name that this recipe often goes by, but I was afraid you would think I had gone and cooked up some small woodland creatures. But don’t worry, no bunnies were harmed in the making of this old-fashioned country dish.
In its most basic form, it is a slice of bread doused in melted cheese…but you know I can’t leave well enough alone, and so my version includes a thick slice of tomato, some beer and Worcestershire sauce stirred into the melted cheese (Vermont cheddar of course), some chopped parsley. And bacon. Because I think I have firmly established that every recipe is better with bacon. Right? Right! Let’s make it!
You can, of course, customize your rabbit any way you like. The only requirements are that you use nice bread (I used ciabatta this time, but I have made it with everything from English muffins to sourdough bread) and cheddar cheese melted with a little beer. Those are the ingredients for the classic version, but since I had a nice juicy tomato hanging around, it got me to thinking…you know how a grilled cheese sandwich can be even more scrumptious when you add some sliced tomato?
And then I remembered that a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato is even MORE scrumptious with bacon. And since Welsh Rarebit is essentially an open-faced melty cheese sandwich, I figured it was worth a go. And oh my goodness.
I used my very favorite version of bacon for this comfort food extravaganza, which is cornmeal and brown sugar crusted bacon, because I figured that I was in so deep I might as well go for broke, but regular bacon would do just as well.
This is comfort food with a capital C, and makes a perfect cozy dinner on those cool autumn days that are right around the corner. What fall comfort foods are you looking forward to? Tell me in the comments!Print
This classic dish of bread with melted cheese (also known as Welsh Rabbit) gets a flavor boost with this easy recipe for tomato bacon Welsh Rarebit!
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 10 slices cooked bacon
- 10 thick tomato slices
- 5 slices bread, lightly toasted
- chopped parsley
- Heat milk in a small saucepan. Melt 1/4 cup butter in another saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk hot milk into flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, beer, tomato paste, Worcestershire and mustard and stir constantly over low heat until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread remaining butter on bread and place on broiler-proof pan or cookie sheet. Top bread with bacon, then tomato. Pour 1/2 cup cheese sauce over each bread slice. Broil until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish each with chopped parsley and serve, assuring diners that there are no bunnies involved.
Still Hungry? Click on the title of these delicious recipes!
Adult Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Recipe Girl
Welsh Rarebit from The Pioneer Woman
Welsh Rarebit Bites from Framed Cooks