This simple recipe for shrimp and watermelon salad pairs sweet melon with shrimp and a tangy dressing for a cool and delicious summer seafood supper. Two great warm weather tastes that taste great together!
I understand totally if you are pausing on idea of this salad. Shrimp and…watermelon? In the same bowl? Possibly ending up on your fork in the same bite? Really?
It’s one of those things that sounds like it might not work, but trust me, it does. It’s kind of the whole sweet and salty thing that I love so much, only seafood style. The shrimp and the feta cheese are the savory salty end of this recipe, and the watermelon and fresh tomato are the sweet side.
This simple recipe for shrimp and watermelon salad pairs sweet melon with shrimp and a tangy dressing for a cool and delicious summer seafood supper. Even the dressing has the sweet and salty thing going on — the sharp taste of vinegar and Dijon mustard and garlic are mixed with the sweetness of honey and orange juice, and the whole thing is a Taste Sensation! Sweet and salty and tropical and summery and cool and wonderful. Summer on a plate.
Plus it is as easy as easy as easy can be to put together, which counts for a whole lot on a sultry summer evening when the last thing you want to be doing is logging a lot of time in the kitchen.
So throw caution to the wind, and thanks in advance for walking on the wild side with me, shrimp and watermelon-wise!
This simple recipe for shrimp and watermelon salad pairs sweet melon with shrimp and a tangy dressing for a cool and delicious summer seafood supper.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Juice from one orange
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Combine all dressing ingredients in food processor and process to blend. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the lemon juice and zest, the smashed garlic and the salt. Add the shrimp and simmer until the shrimp is cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain and run the shrimp under cold water to cool them down completely.
- Put the cooled shrimp, watermelon, tomatoes and feta in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing, tasting as you go along until the salad has the amount of dressing you like. Add the chopped basil and toss again.
- Divide among plates, garnish with basil and serve!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!