Warm, thick, creamy winter vegetable soup that is chock full of winter veggies and not a drop of cream! The perfect winter comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 leek, peeled, rinsed and sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (I like Yukon Golds)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- Freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large deep pot over medium high heat. Add carrots, leek and celery and stir until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and stir for another couple of minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer soup to blender and puree until smooth – you might have to do this in batches. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you want a garnish, mix up the sour cream and the horseradish and drizzle over the top. Grind on some pepper and serve in warmed bowls.
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!