As in, the waffle parts that you (and in my house that means the Southern husband) used to practically painstakingly scrub out with a toothbrush now pop out and go in the dishwasher.
Ever since that joyous day, I have been waffle-ironing everything I can dream up, and one day it dawned on me that the waffle iron was the perfect gadget for making melty on the inside, crispy on the outside, cooked just perfectly quesadillas!
Just thinking about it takes my mind off the fact that we are moving in exactly 16 DAYS.
SIX. TEEN. DAYS. Gulp.
My house is a sea of boxes and lists, and I am trying to calm myself down with pictures that are coming from the Carolinas showing our Carolina Dream House is chugging along…we are up to paint and staining…
…and granite! Those of you who read my ramblings about when the granite went into my New Jersey kitchen know how much I love this part…
Hi there, granite. I can’t wait to meet you.
Here’s how you make waffle iron bacon and cheese quesadillas!
You start, as so many good things do, with cooking up a bunch of chopped up bacon until it is done the way you like it.
Next, crank your waffle iron up to high, and brush one side of each tortilla with olive oil (or if you are like me, with the bacon drippings from the skillet.
A few minutes later, you are looking at a perfect melty crispy quesadilla filled with your favorite things…and if you want to dunk it in sour cream or guacamole or salsa or all three, I can tell you from experience that you won’t regret it.
I find that half of an eight inch quesadilla is just about perfect, especially when you serve it up with those toppings and a margarita.
And with that, I’ll let you go find your waffle iron! (Mine is in a box…send calming thoughts!)
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 eight inch flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (see note)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or taco blend cheese
- ½ cup of your favorite salsa
- Your choice of toppings (guacamole, sour cream, extra salsa, etc)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until done to your liking. Scoop out and drain on paper towels.
- Set waffle iron to its highest setting.
- Brush one side of each tortilla with olive oil (or if you are feeling adventurous, the bacon drippings from the skillet!).
- Put one tortilla oiled side down on the waffle iron. Spread ½ cup of the cheese on the tortilla (leaving about 1 inch of the tortilla empty all around the edge), followed by half the cooked bacon, half the salsa, and another ½ cup of the cheese. Place the second tortilla on top, oiled side up, and close the waffle iron.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the tortillas are browned and the cheese is melty.
- Remove and repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with toppings!
You can swap out the olive oil for the bacon drippings from the skillet if you are feeling especially bacon-ish!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!