This hearty healthy recipe for a tuna nicoise grain bowl pairs the classic salad with farro for the perfect easy lunch.
- 1 cup farro (see note)
- ½ pound baby potatoes
- ½ pound green beans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 7 ounce containers tuna packed in oil
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- Cook farro according to package directions and set aside.
- Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Scoop out with a slotted spoon (leaving the hot water in the pot) and cool while you cook the beans.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the beans. Cook until crisp tender, about 5 minutes, and then drain. Run cold water over the beans to stop them from cooking.
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot, thyme and mustard in a small jar and shake shake shake.
- Place the cooked farro, tomatoes, parsley, cooked potatoes and green beans in a large bowl, drizzle with half the dressing and toss until combined.
- Divide the farro mixture among plates, top with tuna and a hardboiled egg half, scatter capers on top, drizzle with a little more dressing and serve!
You can substitute barley or brown rice for the farro if you prefer!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!