This easy recipe for Tater Tot Shepherd’s Pie has all the flavors of that classic casserole, with the extra zip of Tater Tots!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ pounds frozen Tater Tots
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 and spray a large casserole with cooking spray.
- Put the beef and a pinch of salt and pepper to a large skillet and cook until browned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and set aside.
- Put the carrots, celery and onion into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the chopped veggies. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until they are starting to get soft.
- Stir in a pinch each of salt and pepper, followed by the flour. Pour in the milk and simmer until nice and thick. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the beef to the vegetable cheese sauce and stir. Transfer to the casserole.
- Lay the Tater Tots on top of everything, doing your best to get them in a single layer.
- Bake until everything is bubbling and golden, about 40 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then scoop into warmed bowls, garnish with parsley and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!