This easy recipe for sweet potato gnocchi with spinach and walnuts is fun to make and scrumptious to eat!
- Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork, wrap them in a damp paper towel and cook them in the microwave for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Let them cool.
- When they are cool, scoop as much of the sweet potato insides as you can manage into a large mixing bowl. Mash it up a little with a potato masher or a fork.
- Add the ricotta, the egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and a pinch each of salt and pepper to the potato and mix thoroughly. Add the flour in about ½ cup increments, mixing it in gently with clean hands, until you have a soft dough.
- Dust your counter with a little more flour. Divide the dough into four sections, and then roll each section into a rope on your floured surface – you want it to be about one inch thick or so.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the ropes into 1 inch long gnocchis. If you want to get extra fancy, you can gently press the tine of a fork into each one to get those classic gnocchi lines – they help hold the sauce!
- Now you are ready to make the sauce! Melt the butter in a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the white wine, then the baby spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Add the walnuts and remaining Parmesan and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it liberally. Add the gnocchi and cook it until it floats to the top. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and add them to the skillet with the sauce. Toss very gently.
- Scoop out a cup or so of the water the gnocchi cooked in and drizzle enough into the skillet to make a light sauce, tossing gently again as you go.
- Divide among warmed bowls, garnish with Parmesan and a little fresh ground pepper and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!