This one pot recipe for stovetop chicken and rice is a perfect all in one comfort food that the whole family will love!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups rice (we love Anson Mills Carolina Gold)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about two pounds)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chopped fresh scallions, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Put 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the carrots, onion and celery and stir for 3-5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Pour in the rice and give it all a good stir. Add the chicken broth and the poultry seasoning and bring everything to a boil.
- Let the rice simmer for about 10 minutes and then add the chicken. Bring the mixture back up to a simmer and let it all cook until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through (you can check it with a food thermometer – it should read 165), about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the chicken and shred it into bite sized pieces. Return it to the pot along with the rest of the butter, ½ cup of cream and the chopped scallions. Give everything a good stir for a couple of minutes over low heat.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes while someone else sets the table. Ladle it out into warmed bowls and enjoy!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!