This recipe for sticky caramel apple cake is packed with spicy apples and topped with a decadent caramel glaze!
For the cake!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the caramel glaze!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter and flour a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of white sugar and the canola oil. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Stir in the apples, nuts and vanilla and spoon into the prepared pan. Bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool while you prepare the glaze.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small pot over medium low heat. Add 1/4 cup each of brown and white sugar along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and stir for two minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, pour in the cream and simmer for 2 more minutes (it’s going to bubble up dramatically at the end – that’s what it’s supposed to do so don’t worry!).
- Poke holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer or a toothpick and pour the glaze over the top. Let it settle for a few minutes and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!