All the flavors of spicy pork tamales are here in this easy skillet tamale pie! A quick and hearty one pot version of this favorite supper.
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn (you can use frozen, but if it’s in season, the kernels from two ears of fresh corn are even better!)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put three tablespoons of the oil in an ovenproof skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add pork and stir until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add half of the chopped scallions and the spices and stir. Add tomatoes, corn and chicken broth and stir again, letting the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and turn off the heat.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, remaining scallions, baking powder and baking soda together in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl mix the buttermilk, egg and remaining oil. Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pat the cornmeal batter over the pork mixture, spreading it to the edges. Press with a fork to pack it down evenly.
- Bake the tamale pie in the oven until the topping is just starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let the tamale pie sit for about 5-10 minutes (so hard, I know!) before serving
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!