This easy recipe for Shaking Beef is a Vietnamese spin on a stir-fry supper with a dash of lime juice for a fresh and delicious flavor!
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Juice from one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 3 scallions, root ends cut off and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Lime wedges for serving
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Put beef, garlic, 1 tablespoon of sugar, sesame oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a zippered plastic bag and marinate in the fridge for at least one hour and up to 12 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, combine the rice vinegar, white wine, soy sauce and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small measuring cup and set aside. (This is the cooking sauce for the meat).
- Combine lime juice, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper (this is the dipping sauce.)
- Divide the lettuce and tomatoes among four plates so you are all ready to go when the meat is done.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over high heat. When it is smoking hot, add the beef cubes in one layer and let them sear for about 2-3 minutes. Flip them over and let them sear for another 2 minutes.
- Add the shallot and scallions, and give it a good stir. Now pour in the vinegar mixture and shake the pan for about 30 seconds until the meat releases.
- Place the beef mixture on top of the lettuce and tomatoes and pour any drippings from the pan over the beef. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, the lime dipping sauce and lime wedges on the side!