Well, we are officially moved out of our sweet house in New Jersey.
The last bits and pieces are packed away, all our worldly possessions are on a moving truck somewhere, and we are collapsed at my mama’s house for a few days before we head on down to the Carolinas.
My mind is a complete whirlwind of excitement and tears and memories and anticipation. I’m trying hard to keep in mind that this beautiful entrance to our new neighborhood is waiting for us…
…and that this pretty pretty kitchen is almost finished and ready for me to work up some new recipes….
…and that before long, I get to belly up to this wine bar and have a Prosecco margarita. OR TWO.
Over the last few days I have been basically creating some wild dinners out of the remains of what is left in my fridge, and while some of them are not, shall we say, bloggable, I was happily surprised with the results of last week’s pasta creation!
Here’s how you make pasta with lemon ricotta sauce!
Start by sautéing up some chopped sweet onion in a little olive oil until it starts to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
Now pour in a little white wine and some canned tomatoes, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
While the sauce is burbling away, cook the pasta according to package directions in heavily salted water.
Drain it, add it to your wine mixture and give it a good toss. Add the butter and lemon juice and toss again.
Now comes the magical part – divide your pasta among bowls and plop a nice big spoonful of ricotta on top, and sprinkle on some lemon zest.
Oh, and here comes my regular pitch for you to take an extra ten minutes to make your own ricotta….it’s the BEST.
One way or the other, give this light and luscious pasta a try…it’s amazing what can happen when you experiment with whatever happens to be in your fridge and pantry!
Oh, and wish me luck, and I’ll see you on the Carolina side!
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their juices
- 8 ounces short pasta – ziti, campanelle, etc
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh ricotta, room temperature
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- Pour the oil into a heavy deep pot and add with onion and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat until the onion starts to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and the tomatoes, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in heavily salted water.
- Drain the pasta, add to sauce and toss to coat. Add the butter and lemon juice and toss again. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide among warmed bowls, top with ricotta and the lemon zest and serve!