Pair two of your breakfast and lunch favorites with this easy recipe for French toast grilled ham and cheese sandwiches!
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ pound sliced Swiss cheese
- ½ pound thin sliced ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Whisk the milk and eggs together in a small mixing bowl and pour into a rectangular casserole. Spread 4 slices of the bread with mustard. Place all the slices in a single layer so they can soak up the milk mixture – put the mustard ones mustard side up.
- Layer each of four slices with cheese, then ham, then more cheese. Take the other four slices and lay them wet side UP on top of the sandwich bottoms (in other words, both outside bread slices are the ones that are wet with the milk mixture!).
- Put the butter in a large skillet or a griddle over medium heat. Carefully place the sandwiches in the skillet or on the griddle, cover the skillet or griddle with a big pan lid and cook until the bottom of the sandwich is golden brown about 3 minutes.
- Carefully turn the sandwiches over, cover and cook for another 3 minutes or until the other side is golden brown.
- It’s going to be tempting to dig into these RIGHT AWAY, but it’s best if you let them site for a minute or two before you take that first bite!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!