Turn your favorite chicken noodle soup into a summery cool chicken noodle salad with this easy recipe! It’s the perfect comfort food lunch or supper.
One of my favorite things in the worlds is steamy, comforting chicken noodle soup. I made entire vats of it this past winter when the relentless New Jersey snow was as high as our basketball hoop in the driveway.
Now that we are happily in the steamy days of our first North Carolina summer, I’ve finally eased up on the soup-making…but I wasn’t entirely ready to leave chicken noodle wonderfulness behind.
And then it occurred to me…what’s good for the soup is good for the pasta salad. As in, chicken noodle salad!
This is a fabulous way to use up any leftover chicken you might have hanging around in your fridge.
I always try to have leftover chicken hanging around in my fridge…whenever I am making chicken anything I intentionally make extra, because you never know when a little leftover chicken is going to turn into something wonderful like chicken noodle salad.
Here’s how you make cool chicken noodle salad!
I started out with some of the key things you find in chicken noodle soup…carrots and celery. I sauteed them in a little butter just long enough to make them just the teeniest bit tender.
Then I scooped them out and used the same pan to make a warm white wine and butter “dressing,” which simmered up in about 5 minutes.
Once that was done, I added veggies back in, along with some cooked linguine and some shredded chicken.
I tossed the whole thing with some, and voila! Chicken noodle salad. A few cheery green sliced scallions and I was in business.
Now, you can serve this hot from the skillet, but because I was going for the summer version of chicken noodle soup, I let mine cool down to room temperature and it was just perfect.
So don’t deprive yourself of chicken noodle deliciousness just because it’s one million degrees outside…salad it up!
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
Turn your favorite chicken noodle soup into a summery chicken noodle salad with this easy recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup white wine (see note)
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 6 ounces linguine, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots and celery and stir until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add wine to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add remaining butter and stir until melted.
- Return veggies to skillet along with cooked linguine and chicken. Toss until well combined. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide among plates and garnish with scallions. Can be served hot or at room temperature.
You can swap chicken broth for the white wine if you like!
Updated (and made even more delicious!) from a previously published Framed Cooks post!