This delectable recipe for easy chocolate caramel cake blends candy bar flavors into a decadent cake that everyone will love!
For the cake!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the frosting!
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 13/9 inch pan with cooking spray
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder and whisk it up until it is nice and smooth. Set it aside while you go on to the next step.
- Put the eggs, vanilla and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat them up until it is airy and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to low and pour in the buttermilk, and then the melted chocolate and mix it all up until it is smooth.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and add it to the chocolate mixture. Mix it in until it is all combined – it’s okay if there are lumps here and there.
- Scrape it into your baking pan and bake it up until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let it cool completely before you frost it.
- Ready to make the frosting? Beat a cup of softened butter with your mixer until it is nice and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, the cocoa powder, milk, salt, and vanilla and mix it on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and mix it for another minute.
- If you want it a little thicker add ¼ cup of powdered sugar, and if you want it a little thinner add a tablespoon of milk.
- Scrape the frosting out the bowl onto your cooked cake and spread it to the edges (an offset spatula works great for this).
- Now for the finishing touch! Drizzle on the caramel sauce, cut into squares and serve! (And if you want to add whipped cream and a little extra caramel, I won’t tell!).
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!